[asia-apec 712] APPA annoucement: Forum on Forests and Trade on the Pacific Rim

appasec appasec at tm.net.my
Fri Sep 25 17:52:05 JST 1998

WORKSHOP ANNOUNCEMENT
from Pacific Environment and Resources Center and American Lands Alliance

FORESTS AND TRADE ON THE PACIFIC RIM:  HOW TO PROTECT OUR COMMUNITIES?
November 11 - 12 at the Asia Pacific People's Assembly in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Last November, APEC approved forest products for a fast track free trade
plan which will increase logging and consumption around the Pacific Rim.  At
the upcoming November 18, 1998 Summit in Kuala Lumper, where citizens are
not welcome, APEC hopes to finalize this plan.

In order to address what APEC and globalization means for forests before
it's too late, forest activists and community leaders are holding their own
meeting to discuss such important questions as:

*  What does globalization mean for forests and communities?

*  How will communities protect their forests from the increased logging and
destruction that will result from free trade plans such as APEC's?

*  What can we do to stop multinational corporations from moving into our
last pristine forests and taking away the resources we depend on?

*  How can we build a network to keep each other informed and to develop
strategies for confronting the impacts of free trade on Pacific Rim forests
and communities?

By joining together at this workshop, we find ways to protect our forests
from the threats of free trade.

* * Regional forest updates * * Small group strategy sessions * *
Network-building activities * * Opportunities to meet forest activists from
around the Pacific Rim * *

We will distribute registration packets soon.  For more information about
the event, low cost airfares, and accommodations in Kuala Lumpur, contact:

Paige Fischer, Pacific Environment and Resources Center, <perc at igc.org>

A. Paige Fischer
Campaign on APEC and Pacific Rim Forests
Pacific Environment and Resources Center (PERC)
1055 Fort Cronkhite
Sausalito, California  94965  U.S.A.
Phone:  415-332-8200
Fax:  415-332-8167