[asia-apec 613] ANWAR: Plot to Topple me

PAN Asia Pacific panap at panap.po.my
Fri Sep 4 14:33:37 JST 1998

The Star
September 4, 1998

Anwar: High-level plot to topple me

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim yesterday denied allegations of links with foreign
elements and sexual misconduct, claiming that there was a "high-level" conspiracy to topple him.

The sacked Deputy Prime Minister told a press conference at his home in Bukit Damansara he also
had evidence, in the form of witnesses, statutory declarations and tapes, to counter the allegations.

He claimed that the conspiracy was partly motivated by "jealousy," noting that he was given red
carpet treatment on a visit to the United States.

Anwar was flanked by his wife Datin Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, Umno Youth chief Datuk
Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, PAS president Fadzil Nor and about 50 supporters.

He was removed from the posts of deputy prime minister and finance minister on Wednesday
evening. No reasons were given for his dismissal.

Asked if he thought that the Prime Minister was not being rational by sacking him, Anwar said:
"That is for the media to interpret."

At the Kuala Lumpur High Court yesterday, the Attorney-General and the police filed four
affidavits to support the police decision to hold Datuk  S. Nallakaruppan in a Bukit Aman lock-up
instead of at the Sungai Buloh prison, citing security reasons including an investigation involving a
top national leader.

One of the affidavits alleged that Anwar had engaged in sexual misconduct which included sodomy
and illicit sex with several women and a man and attempts to seduce a businessman's wife.

To a question, Anwar claimed that all the allegations against him were fabricated in a political
conspiracy of the "highest level."

"I have appealed to the Prime Minister not to be influenced by the conspirators. I have even written
two letters dated Aug 25 and 28 to him but they went unreplied.

"Yesterday, (Datuk Seri) Dr Mahathir (Mohamad) gave me an ultimatum to either resign or be
sacked with possible charges to be brought against me.

"I refused to accede to his request and I challenged him to use the democratic process to prove the
allegations," he said.

Anwar also claimed that government institutions were manipulated by  people who plotted against
him and fabricated accusations.

"If I, as the number two man in the country, cannot be assured of justice, then it is a great shame
for the country," he said.

However, Anwar declined to reveal the names of the alleged plotters, butsaid: "I have evidence to
prove it."

"It is certainly a political conspiracy against me to prevent any possibility that I will challenge the
PM," he said.

"I can't say if the PM is directing it. But they are rich people, businessmen and supreme council
members (of Umno)," he claimed.

Anwar also claimed that he might be arrested under either the Official Secrets Act or the Internal
Security Act.

He said that he had already started legal proceedings to fight his removal.

"I will be around for a long time," he said. "The Malaysian people are not so stupid. I've advised
my friends to remain calm and respect the law."

He said he had also undergone two DNA tests, one of them abroad, to refute allegations that he
had fathered an illegitimate child.

Anwar said he planned to remain active in politics and vowed to fight "until I get justice."

Later, he confirmed that the dismissal letter from the Prime Minister's Department was delivered to
his house on Wednesday night by the police.