[asia-apec 782] APEC 97: Nail 'em!

Jonathan Oppenheim jono at physics.ubc.ca
Sat Oct 10 14:51:31 JST 1998

Pepper Spray? Will that be Economy Size, Family Size, or Keg Size?
The following are excerpts from radio transcripts, released by the RCMP Public
Complaints Commission.  They reveal that the Mounties were not very nice
during APEC 97.  Of course, students should stop whining about the whole thing.
APEC 98 in Malaysia is gonna make APEC 97 look like a tea party.

1) Staff Seargeant Hugh Stewart: "I got the pepper spray...whole bunch of people"

Unnamed Officer: (laughing) "is it the big size?"

Stewart: "No, we just use the economy size"

Unnamed Officer: "Ah"

Stewart: "It was full, anyway"

Staff Sergeant Hugh Stewart arrests and pepper sprays protester David Malmo-Levine the day before the APEC summit.  David was arrested for "saying foolish things".

2)  Stewart: "put it this way, I'm fucked"

Mounties use pepper spray when a fence, held up by plastic twist-ties, collapses
on a group of students.  Pepper spray was used even more liberally on another
group of five students who peacefully approached the police line.  At this time,
the police heirarchy breaks down completely.
3)
Deputy McGuinness: "How are you?"
Unnamed Officer: "Not too bad."
McGuinness: "Hey listen, do you guys have any keg size OC [pepper] spray up
		there?"
Officer: "We got a can of it sitting right here in my drawer?"
McGuinness: "Big one?"
Officer: "Yeah"
McGuinness: "Okay, un, I wonder if you can get that out to UBC for us."
Officer: "Okay"
McGuinness: "You, you, you only got one up there?"
Officer: "Ah well um, I got one in my drawer, hang on here, just a munute."
McGuinness: "Okay"
Officer: (aside) "We got any other keg size OC, Deputy McGuinness is on the
phone here.  In the berg there's one eh?"  "Ah, we've got probably two or
three we can get our hands on.
McGuinness: "If you can as many keg size OC's as you can"

The Mounties run out of pepper spray at lunch time.
4) Hugh Stewart:  "we're just gonna go down there, we're gonna hit
'em, wham, nail 'em."

Moments later, the Mounties use pepper spray to clear students blocking
one of the motorcade routes.  Almost no warning is given.
5)  Stewart:  "Everybody's contaminated, they can't, I mean they can't even
touch their dicks for Christ sakes."

The mounties pepper-spraying is so indiscriminate, that they nail each other.