[asia-apec 781] Re: APEC '93 Seattle, WA No. 1

jane kelsey j.kelsey at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Oct 9 20:38:49 JST 1998

David, thanks for the information. However you make two false
assumptions:

1. that people did not subsequently make those requests;
they did in Tokyo and met with Japanse officials, which left absolutely
no doubt about the futility of attempting to affect the substance of
the APEC agenda, and

2.that those who have been active critics of APEC have not
considered the matter. Rather, many of us believe that meeting with the
APEC secretariat or lead players would have no desirable effect, but
would rather allow APEC to claim they are consultating with so-called
'civil society'. The documents recently obtained under the Official
Information Act regarding New Zealand government plans for NGOs in 1999
confirm that this is purely a cyncial public relations exercise where
any NGOs who are successfully coopted into that process will simply be
used for the government's own pro-deregulation agenda.

So, thanks for the advice, but no thanks to the strategy.

Jane Kelsey

jane kelsey
j.kelsey at auckland.ac.nz