[asia-apec 434] Re: Issue/Sector Forums at the Asia-Pacific Peoples' Assembly

Leslie B lbyster at igc.apc.org
Sat May 16 01:38:45 JST 1998

In addition to information/communication technology, it would be good to
look at the entire electronics (chip making industry).  The semiconductor
manufactturing industry is the largest and fastest growing manufacturing
sector in the world.  Over 127 plants each costing over $1billion (US) are
planned for the next three years.  In addition are the various supporting
industries (Chemical manufacturing and waste disposal).  Much more
information on this is available if people want.  Of course the industry iis
greatly involved in trade negotiations and removing barriers to trade.  The
environmental,  occupational health impacts and community impacts of this
industry are enormous as well.

Leslie Byster

At 03:14 PM 5/15/98, PAN Asia Pacific wrote:

>Dear Roberto Verzola (and the entire list),
>
>This is in response to Roberto's request that a forum on
>information/communication technology take place at the Peoples'
>Assembly in Kuala Lumpur.
>
>I will bring your request up at the next working committee meeting
>of the Peoples' Assembly on May 29th.  Can I assume that you are
>willing to host this forum?  Are there other interested
>organizations?  I will see if any Malaysian groups are interested in
>co-hosting the forum.
>
>Any organizations or individuals interested in organizing issue or
>sector forums for this year's People's Assembly can either send
>emails to me (you may just want to post them to the list so that
>other interested groups can know what's going on) or communicate
>directly with the offices of the secretariat.  My email address is
>the temporary secretariat address and I'll post the new phone and
>fax numbers hopefully by next week if they are available.
>
>The secreatriat will assist issue and sector forums with
>registration and logistics and may be able to provide some funding.
> We will supply the venue if the organizers choose to hold the
>forum in Kuala Lumpur.  Criteria for the forums has not yet been
>established, but all forums will be expected to be a part of the
>assembly process (i.e. they must feed into the plenary sessions
>between November 13-15 in Kuala Lumpur).  It is up to the
>organizers to establish the programme for the forum, seek funding,
>and send out invitations.  I will have more details after the next
>working committee meeting.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Devlin Kuyek
> Pesticide Action Network- Asia and the Pacific
> and Asia-Pacific Peoples' Assembly Secretariat

Leslie Byster