[asia-apec 497] Impact of Asian Crisis on Migrants

AMC amc at HK.Super.NET
Mon Jun 29 20:41:20 JST 1998

Dear Friends,

The Asian Migrant Centre (AMC) will release next week the maiden issue of
our Asian Migrant Yearbook (AMY) 1998. AMY 98 is a 170-page yearbook which
contains reports on the situation of migrant workers in 16 Asian countries.
It also has special sections on globalisation and migration, violence
against women migrants, trafficking, churches' response, and the impact of
the Asian crisis on migrants. For subscription information, email us at
<amc at hk.super.net>.

One section of AMY 98 will be "A Year After: Surveying the Impact of the
Asian Crisis on Migrant Workers". This is a 10-page report on the effects
of the ongoing crisis on migrants. It highlights some of the quatitative
effects on workers and migrants in Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, South
Korea, Malaysia, Hong Kong, etc. Our analysis is that the ongoing turmoil
is not simply a "financial" or "currency" crisis, but a comprehensive
economic and social crisis which has become more vicious and widespread
because of the unrelenting drive of these countries towards neoliberal
global economic integration.

Please email us if you want an advance file copy (in MS Word 6.0 format) of
the Asian crisis paper.

You can also visit our (recently launched) website at
<http://www.hk.super.net/~mrhr> for additional information on Asian migrant
workers.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rex Varona
Asian Migrant Centre
4 Jordan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2312-0031   Fax: (852) 2992-0111
Email: amc at hk.super.net   web: http://www.hk.super.net/~mrhr