[asia-apec 491] Re: WTO: APEC meeting pursues freer trade despite crisis

Gatt Watchdog gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz
Sun Jun 28 12:46:48 JST 1998

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:13:54 -0500
To: niel at iatp.org, sophia at iatp.org, karen at iatp.org, kristin at iatp.org
        ictsd <ictsd at iprolink.ch>, JBRIENZA at PILLSBURY.COM, jjbw at sprynet.com,
        steve at iatp.org,
        "Eliane.BARBAGLIA at delche.cec.eu.int" <Eliane.BARBAGLIA at delche.cec.eu.int>,
        "lwallach at citizen.org" <lwallach at citizen.org>,
        "mika at mb.kcom.ne.jp" <mika at mb.kcom.ne.jp>,
        gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz, vanroozendaal at pscw.uva.nl
From: "Mark Ritchie" <mritchie at iatp.org>
Subject: WTO: APEC meeting pursues freer trade despite crisis

> [...]

>facilitate business activity.
>
>APEC is promoting regional trade liberalization through IAPs, steps taken
by
>each member economy, and CAPs, measures jointly taken by its members.
>
>Electronic commerce was also on Monday's agenda, with the ministers
endorsing
>plans to develop possible principles on electronic transactions and a
program
>on technical cooperation to address the millennium bug problem.
>
>The problem involves older computer programs that recognize years only by
their
> last two digits and are accordingly expected to misread the year 2000 as
1900,
> with potentially far-reaching consequences.
>
>Australia and Singapore are co-chairing the task force on electronic
commerce.

>On Tuesday, the ministers are expected to deliberate on the Early Voluntary
>Sectoral Liberalization (EVSL) scheme.
>
>Under a two-tiered schedule, APEC aims to achieve free trade by the year
2010
>for developed economies and by 2020 for developing economies.
>
>By launching the EVSL scheme, APEC is seeking to implement trade
liberalization
> of some business sectors earlier than the 2010/2020 target years.
>
>Altogether, 15 sectors have been approved under the EVSL scheme, nine of
them
>to be implemented by next year. The nine are environmental goods and
services,
>fish products, forest products, medical equipment, energy, chemicals, toys,
>gems and jewelry and a telecommunications mutual recognition agreement.
>
>Rafidah said that from the beginning, APEC member economies have had an
>understanding that not everyone in the grouping will participate in the
scheme.
> But she said that while Malaysia especially has always considered APEC
goals
>nonbinding, there were enough members ''coming on board to make it a
reality.''

>Rafidah said the trade ministers' meeting will also discuss how to bring
the
>liberalization packages to the World Trade Organization (**WTO**).
>
>''We want to know whether they can be effected within the **WTO**. This is
the
>next  stage,'' she said.
>
>APEC groups Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia,
>Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, the
>Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and the United States.
>
>The three member-designate economies -- Peru, Russia and Vietnam -- are
also
>participating in the meeting and will make presentations.
>
>-0-
>
>{C:Kyodo-0622.02572}   06/22/98

>[ ] Put an X here to receive a form through which you may inspect,

via the Inquisit(TM) business intelligence service
<http://www.inquisit.com>.  All articles Copyright 1998 by their respective
source(s); all rights reserved.  The information contained in this message
is for use by licensed Inquisit subscribers only and may not be forwarded,
distributed, published or broadcast in any medium.

Mark Ritchie, President
Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
2105 1st Ave. South,   Mpls, MN 55404 USA
612-870-3400 (direct),   612-870-4846 (fax)
mritchie at iatp.org      http://www.iatp.org