[asia-apec 479] Re: 1493 DEVELOPMENT: Donors refuse aid to PNG over 'poor record'

Gatt Watchdog gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz
Fri Jun 12 08:46:39 JST 1998

>From null at maneaba.pactok.net  Mon Jun 22 10:04:42 1998
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:05:36 +0000
From: David Robie <robie_d at usp.ac.fj>
Subject: 1493 DEVELOPMENT: Donors refuse aid to PNG over 'poor record'
To: Nius <nius at pactok.net.AU>

Title -- 1493 DEVELOPMENT: Donors refuse aid to PNG over 'poor record'
Date -- 22 June 1998
Byline -- Neville Togarewa
Origin -- <A HREF="mailto:niusedita at pactok.net.au">Pasifik Nius</A>
Source --  The National (PNG), 22/6/98
Copyright -- The National
Status -- Unabridged
-----------------

DONORS REFUSE AID DUE TO POOR RECORD, SAYS SKATE

PORT MORESBY: Foreign donors were refusing to give aid to Papua New
Guinea because of its poor usage record, Prime Minister Bill Skate has
said, the National reports

Mr Skate said the country - through the Government and the bureaucracy -
had failed to meet its obligations as a recipient.

Addressing senior public servants at the launch of the corporate plan
for the department of Prime Minister and National Executive Council at
Parliament House here last week, he also said the public service had
failed very badly to implement Cabinet decisions and Public Investment
Program.

"As far as implementation of Government policy and development programs
are concerned, the message is the same. Less than 30 per cent of NEC
decisions have been implemented," he said.

"The PIP is not being implemented and donors are starting to stop giving
aid to Papua New Guinea because we are not able to meet our
obligations."

Mr Skate directed departmental heads and chief executives of public
corporations to help draft what he described as a "national development
charter" which would be a blueprint for the 1999 budget and PIP.

He said he wanted the charter prepared by the end of July.

"I want to then consult with provincial governors, churches, NGOs and
the private sector so that they can give their ideas. I also want to sit
with the leader of the Opposition and get his views. This national
policy direction will then form the basis of the 1999 budget and PIP,"
said Mr Skate.

He said the charter should reflect the vision of the four million Papua
New Guineans and the nation, adding: "Whether I continue as Prime
Minister or the Government changes, it should not affect our people's
and our country's progress."

The Prime Minister also warned that if departmental heads failed to
submit their corporate plans by the end of July, they would be
terminated.

Corporate plans were necessary to streamline the public service, save
costs and provide timely and efficient services to the people, he said.

"Despite previous retrenchments, the public service numbers have
increased and the wage bill has also increased," said Mr Skate.

"Cabinet directed that departments should prepare their three-year
rolling corporate plans by April 30. Most departmental heads have not
complied. Why? The message is clear. If the corporate plans are not
submitted, please resign before you are terminated.

"Many departments have been restructured and are still being
restructured (but) efficiency has not improved and delivery of services
has weakened. I am not here to attack the public service. My intention
is to raise basic issues and a reality we must all face together."

"The challenge for all of us is to ask ourselves critical and basic
questions. That is why Cabinet has asked for departmental heads to
prepare their corporate plans.

"We must all start asking questions like what functions Government and
your agency should really be focusing on? Where do you and I expect to
see our sector and our country in 24 months, in five years and in 10
years? Given the limited money, human and other resources we have, how
much can we realistically achieve?

"This is the first step of my Government's strategy to start preparing a
national vision and development plan for our country."

+++niuswire

This document is for educational and personal use only. Recipients
should seek permission from the copyright source before reprinting.
PASIFIK NIUS service is provided by the niusedita via the Journalism
Program, University of the South Pacific.
Please acknowledge Pasifik Nius:
niusedita at pactok.net.au
http://www.usp.ac.fj/www/usp/soh/journ/nius/index.html