[asia-apec 420] No! to MAI Campaign in Japan

Tachibana Masahiko mtachiba at jca.ax.apc.org
Wed Feb 18 07:19:05 JST 1998

Hi all,

"No! to MAI Campaign" has just been started in Japan by the initiatives
of People's Forum 2001 Japan and Asia Pacific Resource Center, two of
the major NGO's concerned for development issues in this country.

The campaign calls for sending postcards to the secretary-general of
OECD in Paris.  The address and messages for example are attached
below, in which you will find the objective of this campaign.

Tachibana Masahiko

       Mr. Donald J. Johnston
       Secretary-General
       Organization for Economic
       Co-operation and Development
       2 rue Andre-Pascal, 75775 Paris
       CEDEX 16 FRANCE

Dear Mr. Donald J Johnston

	I am very concerned that the Multilateral Agreement on Investment
(MAI), which is currently being negotiated in the OECD severely
undermines prerogatives of democratically-elected governments, as well as
the international efforts being made towards sustainable development.

	In particular, I believe the provision to allow foreign corporations
to sue governments under the Dispute Settlement Mechanism is an
unprecedented concept in international law, and should not be allowed.
Although I believe it is necessary to formulate international rules to regulate
the activities of multinational corporations, MAI as it stands will not fulfill
that role, but indeed will give immense privileges to these firms.

	I oppose to the further continuation of the negotiations of the MAI,
and will oppose any attempt to ratify it at the national level.  I believe
that, in order to achieve sustainable development and social justice,
the OECD should immediately stop these negotiations and instead re-consider
its role and possible contribution in creating universal rules to regulate
the activities of multinational corporations.

name&address

TACHIBANA Masahiko                   Phone&Fax: +81-48-831-9512 (home)
a member of JCA-NET / JCA               Email: mtachiba at jca.ax.apc.org
    *****  I say NO to "Touchou Houan" or WIRETAPPING BILL  *****