[asia-apec 382] NO! to APEC, Vancouver 1997

mario mapanao mario_m at HK.Super.NET
Thu Mar 13 10:29:58 JST 1997

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 21:24:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Philippine Women Centre <pwc at vcn.bc.ca>
Sender: Philippine Women Centre <pwc at vcn.bc.ca>
Subject: NO! to APEC, Vancouver 1997

Dear Friends,

Conveying to you our warmest greetings of solidarity from Vancouver,
Canada -- site of the 1997 APEC Economic Leaders Summit.

The Network Opposed to Anti-People Control (NO! to APEC) is a grassroots
coalition of women, youth and students, migrant workers, solidarity and
anti-imperialist organizations and individuals.  We have been educating
and organizing since the spring of 1996 to mobilize the marginalized
people of Vancouver against APEC and imperialist globalization.  We held
a solidarity rally on November 25, 1996 for the International Day of
Protest against Imperialist Globalization which was attended by over 100
people.  A delegate from the coalition also attended the People's
Conference sponsored by BAYAN in Manila in November 1996.

The preparations for this massive conference have already begun.  It is
expected that 10,000 journalists, delegates and general tourists will
descend into the city with the total bill of:  $30 million from the
Chretien government;  $5 million from the British Columbia government;
and $1.4 million from the City of Vancouver.  1500 Royal Canadian Mounted
Police will provide high-level security for the APEC visitors.  In the
meantime, marginalized people of the Downtown Eastside (the urban poor
area of Vancouver) are being "cleaned-up" by an increased deployment of
police forces;  housing is being gentrified;  and cutbacks to social
programs leave many on the street without food or shelter.

On March 20, 1997, we are launching our 1997 Campaign with a panel
discussion, press conference, and community "speakout."  We would
appreciate any donations and solidarity messages which you can send to
this address:

Network Opposed to Anti-People Economic Control
451 Powell Street
Vancouver, BC
CANADA  V6A 1G7
Telephone / Fax (604) 215-1103
E-mail:  pwc at vcn.bc.ca

We are also planning the People's Conference against Imperialist
Globalization:  Continuing the Resistance! for November 22 to 24, 1997
with a mobilization on November 25, 1997.  We will be sending you further
communications about the conference soon.

Thank you very much for your support and we hope to see you in November.
Wishing you further advances and continued strength in your struggles.

Cecilia Diocson
for the Coordinating Committee
NO! to APEC