[asia-apec 372] Canada and APEC

daga daga at HK.Super.NET
Wed Mar 5 11:55:30 JST 1997

From: maggie (Maggie Helwig)

/* Written  3:03 PM  Mar  1, 1997 by crocha at banda.ntu.edu.au in
web:reg.easttimor */
/* ---------- "Canada and APEC" ---------- */
Canada Plans "Green" APEC

from Don Greenlees, The Australian, 26/2/97

submitted, and comments by Rob Wesley-Smith AFFET Darwin

The Canadian ambassador to APEC Mr Len Edwards, visiting Australia, said
that as host of this years Asia Pacific Economic Forum, Canada will give a
lot of attention to the non-trade agenda, in particular initiatives covering
sustainable development and the environment.  The environment is part of
sustainable development, and that has to do with economic growth and trade,
so we see these things linked ... its not a win-lose
situation ... they feed each other and support each other.

But after last November APEC summit in Manila, the Australian Prime Minister
Mr Howard distanced himself from a move to give 'a human face to
development' in this way.

Comment

This is not surprising, as we have the most conservative Prime Minister in
Australia since 1972.   His foreign affairs Minister Alexander Downer after
meeting Jose Ramos Horta in Adelaide a week ago, reaffirmed there would be
no change to Australia's policy on East Timor, which is illegal and immoral,
aids Indonesia's conquest, and jointly exploits its wealth.
(Note the go ahead given in mid-February for Oil Production from the
so-called Zone of Cooperation of the illegal and immoral Timor Gap Treaty)

Australians for a Free East Timor congratulates Canada and urges its APEC
Ambassador Edwards to pursue and expand his concerns.   The environment is
always a casualty of war and totalitarian exploitation as we have with
Indonesia, and as occurs in East Timor and West Papua and elsewhere.   It is
often inextricably bound up with human rights in general, often with forced
loss of land tenure and management ability.   Canada should also review how
it's aid budget to Indonesia impacts against the human rights of East Timor.

Further, it is impossible to believe that without basic freedoms and human
rights the workers can or will contribute with maximum efficiency, so
limiting economic development.   Further,when the gap between rich and poor;
or the haves and the have nots; or the privileged and the rest;  becomes
intolerable, there may well be an explosive confrontation which will tear
down some of the economic progress to that point, as we are already seeing
in the region   Thus human rights should be on the
agenda of APEC, and I think we should pressure governments to achieve this.