[asia-apec 159] Asia-Pacific Anti-Militarism Forum

The Environment Centre of W.A. ecwa at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 13 12:53:04 JST 1996

Asia-Pacific Anti-Militarism Forum

A conference for activists in the Asia-Pacific Region

28 March to 1 April 1997
Melbourne Australia

Invitation and information.

Campaign together.

A collective of activists has formed in Australia to organise a forum to
inspire people to focus on issues of peace and structural violence; to
support related struggles; and to improve cooperation between
anti-militarists in South East Asia and the South Pacific.

Militarism is an extreme form of the power structures used to oppress
people. It is important to acknowledge the relationships between militarism
and capitalism, industrialism, colonialism, violence against women, racism,
exploitation of workers, and environmental destruction.

By recognising the connections between these various forms of oppression we
can come together from our different campaigns to support each other's
struggles. Sharing our different strategies and analysis can enrich our
activism, making it more effective and powerful.

This conference for progressive left activists in South East Asia and the
South Pacific will take place in Melbourne over the Easter holidays 1997,
from Friday March 28 to Tuesday April 1. We encourage you to join the
organising collective in your area; or contact us with your ideas or other
contributions to make this conference as inclusive, vibrant and politically
challenging as possible.

This conference is not just talking heads, there will be:
*	sharing of activist skills like media work, making effective leaflets,
public speaking and street theatre;
*	an arts component including videos and films, an activist poster
exhibition and other visual arts; music and dancing; and
*	a demonstration to put activism into practice.
We welcome all expressions of interest in these areas of the conference.

Structure.

We will start the conference with an orientation afternoon for activists to
get to know each other and to find out background information. We hope this
orientation session will enable participants to get more out of the conference.

There will then be four days of presentations and workshops sharing
information, skills and ideas.

Themes identified for discussion include:
*	A survey of militarism in the region;
*	The role of the US military in the Asia-Pacific region (bases, aid and
troop training);
*	The arms trade;
*	Policing and internal repression;
*	The relations between industrialism, capitalism and militarism;
*	The repression of workers movements;
*	Colonialism;
*	Indigenous peoples struggles;
*	Militarism and environmental destruction;
*	Australia's military role in the region (foreign troop training, joint
military exercises, military aid);
*	Women and militarism;
*	Higher education and the military;
*	The relationship between constructions of gender, race and militarism;
*	Alternatives including industrial conversions from military to civilian
uses, conflict resolution strategies and grassroots community empowerment;
*	Improving coordination of anti-militarist campaigns.

Participation.

We actively encourage the participation of marginalised groups. We will
endeavour to provide appropriate language services where possible.
Encouraging gender balance is a priority for the forum organisers.

We are also working towards paying for overseas activists to travel to
Australia - all donations will be greatly appreciated!

The Forum continues...

The conference will end with a powerful and positive action or
demonstration. We are also hoping to organise a speaking tour of some
overseas activists to various Australian cities. This would give these
activists and their campaigns wider exposure and help build support for
their campaigns.

We hope the experience gained and contacts made at this conference will be
used for continuing informal networking and cooperation. The Resource kit
and directory should help activists build working relationships across South
East Asia and the South Pacific.

What you can do.

This event is going to take a lot of organising. We need ideas and support
to develop this forum; and require practical assistance in networking,
fundraising, publicity and coordination.

If you have anything to contribute, from ideas to assistance in organising
the forum, please contact Campaign Against Militarism in Perth or Melbourne.

Keep in touch.

Please send us your name, address, telephone, fax and email details if you
want to stay in touch.

Also, let us know if you:
*	want to join the organising collective
*	have any skills and/or resources to offer
*	are enclosing a list of contacts
*	sending a donation
*	want more information
*	have any comments.

Resource kit.

The organising collective is compiling a resource kit to accompany the
conference, gathering information from activists around the region. If you
can provide us with any of the following information please indicate this
below and send us the details by December 1996.

*	1-2 page overview of issues affecting your part of the region.

*	Information about your group for a regional contact list. Include your
groups name, contact details, what you do and the strategies you use to do it!

*	Even if you can't come to the conference your ideas can. Send us an article.

Conference papers & other contributions.

If you would like to give a paper or workshop at the conference please
include some details.

If you would like to contribute visual, performance or other art forms,
please provide us with details.

Register now with Campaign Against Militarism.

Perth:
Shane Guthrie and Jessie Vintila
PO Box 186, Northbridge, WA 6865, Australia
tel	+ 61 9 227 7880
fax	+ 61 9 227 7882
email	ecwa at iinet.net.au
(temporary email address - current for 1996)

Melbourne:
Nicole Oke and Rachel Schmidt
PO Box 1351, Collingwood, Vic 3066, Australia
tel	+ 61 3 9419 8700
fax	+ 61 3 9416 2081
email 	genccso at lusta.latrobe.edu.au

The Environment Centre of Western Australia <ecwa at iinet.net.au>

Third Floor, 102 Beaufort Street, Perth
Phone: (+61 9) 227 7881   Fax: (+61 9) 227 7882
All mail to: PO Box 7375, Cloisters Square, Perth  6850  AUSTRALIA