[asia-apec 231] APCET II Urges Malaysian Media Not To Be Cowed Into Silence

by way of daga <daga at hk.super.net> tapol at gn.apc.org
Thu Nov 7 12:45:46 JST 1996

From: tapol (Tapol)
Subject: APCET II Urges Malaysian Media Not To Be Cowed Into Silence

APCET II URGES MALAYSIAN MEDIA NOT TO BE COWED INTO SILENCE

APCET II Press Release November 6th 1996

Kula Lumpar, Wed - The organisers of the Second Asia Pacific Conference on
East Timor (APCET II) tonight urged the local media not to be intimidated by
a government directive to cease coverage of the Conference.

Deputy Home Minister Datuk Junid Megat Ayob today summoned senior local
media officals to a closed door meeting at his office.  It has been learnt
by the APCET II organisers that the Deputy Minister discouraged local media
organisations from covering the international Conference.

It is the latest step taken by the Malaysian government to hinder the
international Conference, which seeks to promote initiatives and dialogue to
hasten the peace process in East Timor.  On Monday, the Deputy Minister
summoned representatives of the APCET II organisers and appealed to them to
cancel the Conference.  The following day, the APCET II organisers announced
that they would proceed.

Dr. Sansui Osman, spokesperson for APCET II urged the Malaysian media to
maintain their integrity in the face of government pressure.  Dr Sanusi
asked; "How can friendly ties be based on media gags?

"Our media has a special responsibility to inform the public of the truth.
For to long our fellow Malaysians have been kept in the dark about the
terrible tragedy happening in our front yard.  It is our right, as
Malaysians, to know what has been happening, and to support work towards a
satisfactory resolution.

"I also apepeal to the national union of journalists to support this
peaceful and legitimate initative and ensure that their members are not
prevented from carrying out thier work," Dr Sanusi added.

The conference is being hosted by a coaliton of Malaysian non-governmental
organisations (NGOs) and is a joint effort with international organisations
which form the Asia Pacific Coalition on East Timor.  About 200 people
representing 75 organisations in 24 countries are expected to attend.

Enquires: Dr Sansui Osman  Tel  60 18 826 6625

Note:    Malaysian media are subject to the Printing Presses and
Publications Act which require annual renewable licensing of all newspapers
and printing presses.  Similarly all broadcasting media also require
licences under the Broadcasting Act.  The licences are granted by the
Ministry of Home Affairs.