[asia-apec 7] from the ML facilitator

daga daga at HK.Super.NET
Thu Jul 25 13:33:09 JST 1996

Computer/electronic conferencing is when a group of people can share
information and have a conversation/discussion by 'posting' messages and
information to a host computer (in this case, courtesy of JCA - Japan
Computer Access). Messages and information, once posted, are automatically
mailed out electronically to other participants.

A computer conference may also be known as a 'bulletin board', a 'Usenet
newsgroup', a 'forum', or an 'e-mail mailing list'. (Source: @t ease with
e-mail: A handbook on using electronic mail for NGOs in developing
countries, (UNCTAD/ NGLS).

Because telecommunication charges are expensive for many southern countries,
kindly keep your messages as direct to the point as possible.

For those who press the reply mode when sending a new message, please ensure
that the original message you are responding to is deleted. If not, this
will mean unnecessary connect time charges for many.

When sending a message for the first time, it would be good to briefly
introduce yourself, organization and concerns. Kindly sign your name at the
end of each message, so we will all know who it is directly from.

Lastly, to avoid the matter of bouncing/pingpong messages, for those leaving
on extended trips - please unsubscribe, then subscribe again when you
return. We will post later how to retrieve archived mail.

This for now.

Mario Mapanao, DAGA
<asia-apec>
conference facilitator