[sustran] Harnessing the collective creativity of our readers u

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon May 20 02:39:55 JST 2013

My name is Eric Britton. I am founding editor of World Streets and write you
this morning, among a certain number of contacts and friends,  to ask your
advice about how to finance World Streets <http://worldstreets.org/> .  It's
proving a tough nut to crack.
Just yesterday  I posted an nth call for support on World Streets at
http://wp.me/psKUY-38X.  Reasonable idea perhaps, but since we first went to
press in 2009 hard experience has repeatedly shown that it makes close to
zero sense to go to the 5,725 people signed-in to one or more of the various
World Streets programs and ask them, hat in hand, for financial support.
Too bad but that's not the way our 21st century media and relationships
work. No matter how much goodwill they may show in reading our
contributions, asking them for financial support just doesn't work, other
than in a few exceptional generous cases. In monetary policy we call this
kind of approach "pushing on a string". So at one point we have to give it
up and try something else. Here is the core of the dilemma.
Today the cost of bringing you World Streets is beyond what I am able to
cover with my advisory and consulting work <http://consult.newmobility.org/>
. I have thought hard about different ways to finance our activities, with
little success so far. So now I would now like to stand back to see if we
can harness the collective creativity of our readership to find a solution,
together.
What to do in the face of all that does not work? What should be that other
approach we should be taking?  Truly, I do not want to go for advertising on
the site or any form of obligation to a single sponsor that would compromise
our total independence, since that is not in line with the ethics, the goal
of World Streets. We are working to make the world a better place, not to
give companies more advertising opportunities - they have enough of those.
So that's it. I need your advice and am asking for it.  If you or any of
your friends or colleagues have leads or clues for us it would be very good
to hear them.  Our "suggestion box" is the World Streets Comment
<http://wp.me/psKUY-38X>  button that you can click to here
<http://wp.me/psKUY-38X> . Otherwise email <mailto:eric.britton at ecoplan.org>
, phone and Skye (see below) work just fine.
Thank you,
Eric Britton
PS. And if, despite it all, you still have the  urge to make that donation,
well you can click to  <http://wp.me/psKUY-38X> http://wp.me/psKUY-38X and
there you are. And if you want to know why this could be a good idea, you
will see some words on that on the site as well as a few words on our
program on the following page.  World Streets! It's a necessary experiment.
_____________________
 Francis  Eric Knight Britton, Managing Director /  Editor
 The Equity Initiative <http://worldstreets.org/>  |  World Streets
<http://www.worldstreets.org/>  |  New Mobility Consult
<http://consult.worldstreets.org/>  | 2013 Work Program
<http://2013.worldstreets.org/>  | W/S on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/worldstreets>     |
  9, rue Gabillot   69003 Lyon France  |  T. +339 8326 9459| M. +336 5088
0787  | E.  <mailto:eric.britton at ecoplan.org> eric.britton at ecoplan.org   |
S. newmobility

30 Great Reasons to Get Behind World Streets
Putting World Streets to work:
1.      World Streets on Word Press
<http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/about/mission/>
2.      World Streets on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/WorldStreetsOnline>
3.      Wor <http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=668837> ld
Streets on LinkedIn
4.      Wor <http://twitter.com/#%21/worldstreets> ld Streets on Twitter
5.      Wor
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/circles/world-streets-p75af59b0e2dfee4> ld
Streets on Google+
6.      The Wor <http://www.scribd.com/my_document_collections/2948834> ld
Streets reading room

Our consulting arm:
7.      New Mobility Consult <http://consult.newmobility.org/>

Our other collaborative New Mobility projects
8.      The Equity Initiative <http://equityt.org/>
9.      Sustainability Master Classes
<http://sustainabiltyseminar.wordpress.com/>
10.   Journal of World Transport Policy and Practice
<http://www.ecoplan.org/wtpp/wtj_index.htm>
11.   Nuova Mobilita (Italy) <http://nuovamobilita.wordpress.com>
12.   New Mobility Agenda <http://newmobility.org>
13.   The Streets of India  <http://indiastreets.wordpress.com>
14.   Safe Streets Challenge <http://safestreetstrategies.wordpress.com/>
15.   Nova Mobilidade <http://novamobilidade.wordpress.com>

The ring of social media projects which support each of these
16.   New Mobility Agenda <http://novamobilidade.wordpress.com>
17.   Sustainability Master Classes
<http://www.facebook.com/SDES.MasterClass>
18.   xCar Futures/World Carshare Consortium
<http://www.facebook.com/groups/worldcarshare/>
19.   World City Bike Forum <http://www.facebook.com/groups/worldcitybike/>
20.   The Equity Initiative <http://www.facebook.com/EquityTransport>
21.   World Transport Policy and Practice
<http://www.facebook.com/groups/worldstransport/>
22.   Zetabytes/Open Systems
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/ZetabytesOpen-Systems/487950324572454>
23.   Accès Universel
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Acc%C3%A8s-Universel/255558941213357>
24.   Safe Streets Challenge <http://www.facebook.com/SafeStreetStrategies/>

25.   Streets of India <http://www.facebook.com/IndiaStreets>
26.   Nuova Moblita (Italy) <http://www.facebook.com/NuoMob>
27.   Nova Mobilidade <http://www.facebook.com/NovaMobilidade>
28.   Thinking about Africa
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thinking-about-Africa-Transport-Equity/183396
531766673s>
29.   Thinking about China
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thinking-About-ChinaTransport-Equity/33243283
0112751>
30.   And just in case you forgot, the venerable and ever-useful Worst
Practices Junkyard <http://www.facebook.com/groups/worstpractices/>

If you know this you know what we do, so we rest our case.