[sustran] Re: SLoCaT Status Report on Rio+20 Sustainable Transport Voluntary Commitments

Pascal van den Noort operations at velomondial.net
Sun Jun 23 18:18:45 JST 2013

Dear Morten,

On a number of issues you mention I agree with you.

Something I agree with is the quality of language, that you refer to as wooly. This criticism is a good one because it prevents most people out there to read the documents and use them for inspiration and debate. Most likely they are not meant for these purposes, but rather to reflect an internal thinking without 'legal' repercussions.
The curious thing however is, that most people involved may like what you propose and most likely might even agree. They however have no 'tools' to convey that because of lack or fear of lack of internal 'legal' support. Their hierarchy  would most likely also agree with you, but they respond to the messages from their system and confirm that language.
Yes, the likes of the UN will always be slow and they will depend on messages from outside the system -like yours-  to change their internal lingo.

OK, enough phylosophy for one Sunday morning. What I found most useful these last years is working with cities and their realities. City politicians and technicians need to be very much on the ball and need explain what they do to their voters what they do on dayly bases. If they would come up with the language you are referring to, they would be out of business very quickly. One of the projects I worked in with politicians and technicians in cities is CiViTAS MIMOSA.

CiViTAS has executed projects and designed tools tools to help these people to change their urban mobility. For almost 10 years now, the CIVITAS Initiative has supported the implementation of more than 730 innovative urban mobility measures in 59 European cities. These 730+ individual measures relate to one of 8 CIVITAS thematic groups:
	• Clean fuels and vehicles;
	• Collective passenger transport;
	• Demand management strategies;
	• Mobility management;
	• Safety and security;
	• Car-independent lifestyles;
	• Urban freight logistics; and
	• Transport telematics.

Lots of very practical experience has been gained and is available. Velo Mondial's voluntary commitment  refers to making the information from CiViTAS and from many others projects better available to city people and others. For that purpose we have designed a portal with a variety of different angles to look at information that may cities help in pursuing what you write: better mobility for a better quality of life for the people in their cities. Pas-Port to Mobility works with 'buttons'. Just click away and you will find your path in:

We have integrated a highly innovative search engine that connects to many databases. Also here: click the button that we have pre-defined for your convenience.

You and all others can help by uploading new documents that become part of the search or suggest new sources in the categories above. We will be happy to have your support to make Pas-Port to
Mobility the finest source of information out there.

www.pas-port.info  - Try it out and pass this message on.

Pascal

Pascal J.W. van den Noort
Executive Director
Velo Mondial, A Micro Multi-National

operations at velomondial.net
 +31206270675 landline
+31627055688 mobile phone

Velo Mondial's Blog

Linkedin

Click here for information on urban mobility issues you always wanted to have