[sustran] Free Public Transport! (But hey, are we talking about the same thing?)

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Nov 23 03:08:44 JST 2012

New post on World Streets: The Politics of Transport in Cities

  <http://1.gravatar.com/blavatar/1bad67cdb76a7737358884f1436d75a3?s=32&ts=1353606151>

Free Public Transport! (But hey, are we talking about the same <http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/free-public-transport-but-hey-are-we-talking-about-the-same-thing/>  thing?)

 <http://networkdispatches.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/subway-turnstyle-jumping-paris2.jpg> http://networkdispatches.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/subway-turnstyle-jumping-paris2.jpg?w=259&h=201Posted on  <http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/free-public-transport-but-hey-are-we-talking-about-the-same-thing/> 22 November 2012 | Leave a comment <http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/free-public-transport-but-hey-are-we-talking-about-the-same-thing/#respond>

On 22 June 2010 we posted in these pages an invitation to an open thinking exercise welcoming comments and views on the topic of “Free Public Transport”. Two weeks later to get the ball rolling we followed up with a first article setting out some basic principles under the title “Why Free Public Transport is perhaps a bad idea”. That posting has been among the more widely read here; as of this morning having been accessed some 3,942 times. Beyond that it opened up a small Tsunami of comments, reactions and clarifications <http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/why-free-public-transport-is-a-bad-idea/#comment-63> , a number of which of high interest and thoughtfulness.

But here is the joker: Judging from the responses and conversations that followed it was clear that almost everybody was reading the word “Free” in that phrase as an adjective. But that is not quite what we had in mind. Rather it was part of what we wanted to have views on, but only part of it.

Click for more: http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/free-public-transport-but-hey-are-we-talking-about-the-same-thing/

   <http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=worldstreets.wordpress.com&blog=6853540&post=9614&subd=worldstreets&ref=&email=1&email_o=wpcom>