[sustran] Re: A number that takes your breath away!

Sudhir sudhir at cai-asia.org
Tue Jan 31 11:09:54 JST 2012

Dear Cornie,

Continuing this further...

The investment by cities on urban transport are many times more than the
development banks. Metropolitan cities like Bangalore are seeking like 1
billion USD/year for next twenty years. Delhi invested more than 2 billion
$ for 'improving' transport within 4-5 years for commonwealth
games. According to the latest estimates, India is planning to invest like
15 billion USD/year on urban transport. If you scale this up for the entire
Asia and look at massive investment on intercity roads... you would be
looking at a very very big number.

See - http://www.iutindia.org/ntdpc/draftrep_onNTUD_3rdjune11.pdf
http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/city-needs-rs-125-lakh-cr-for-infra-says-gowda/454718/

How it ends up being actually used is entirely a new challenge - see
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_central-funds-used-to-just-widen-pune-roads_1642975

regards