[sustran] Use foot-overbridge, win 100 $ : Cops to reward pedestrians

Sudhir sudhir at cai-asia.org
Thu Feb 16 17:31:17 JST 2012

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/use-footoverbridge-win-rs-5-000-cops-to-reward-pedestrians/912762/

One can win 100$ if they use foot over bridges while walking in Delhi :-)

Jaywalking could cost you a chance to win Rs 5,000. This is the prize money
on offer for the users of foot-overbridges across the Capital.

The Delhi Traffic Police, buoyed by the response to a similar initiative,
are once again offering coupons to those using certain foot-overbridges in
the city. The coupons will then go in for a lucky draw and the winner will
receive Rs 5,000.

The first drive was launched on January 1, as part of Road Safety Week, and
19,998 coupons were distributed to pedestrians during the peak hours.

Starting Thursday, traffic personnel at specific locations will be
distributing the lucky draw coupons. The drive will continue till February
22.

Police have refused to identify the locations as they fear “it will defeat
the purpose” of the drive.

“We will not disclose the names of the FOBs where the coupons will be
distributed as it will defeat the whole purpose of the scheme. People will
then come to the area just for the coupons, which is not the purpose. The
main aim is to push for the usage of FOB’s by pedestrians,” said Satyendra
Garg, Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic).

This time, personnel will also collect contact details of those who are
handed the coupons. The move is aimed at ensuring the winner receives the
prize money.

“The pedestrian who won the draw last time has still not come to claim the
prize money. Last time, we did not take down the phone number and other
details of pedestrians so we were not able to contact the winner. This time
it will be more organised,” Garg said.

The last drive was held outside the Income Tax Office near Pragati Maidan
and in Anand Vihar. “We received a huge response the last time we took the
initiative, so we wish to keep up the effort. We have identified two
locations — one each in Central and South Delhi areas. Coupons will be
distributed in these areas during peak hours,” said Garg.

If nothing else, the prize money would encourage the pedestrians to obey
road safety rules, he said. Police are also planning to make the scheme a
monthly affair.