[sustran] Re: Jakarta plans "Odds and Evens" license plate traffic rationing

Cornie Huizenga cornie.huizenga at slocatpartnership.org
Wed Dec 19 10:48:17 JST 2012

Dear Todd,
See Jakarta post of 19 October below which indicates that there is
awareness of the problem and willingness to do something about it.  The
news article has a very interesting quote:

-----" Meanwhile, the head of the Jakarta Transportation Agency’s
engineering management unit, Bernhard Hutajulu, said that the agency was
still conducting studies regarding the planned on-street parking fee hike.
He added that the administration was also mulling a plan to ensure that
city’s public transportation was good enough to accommodate the shifting
use of transportation, following the plan to increase parking fees. “Asking
the public to start using public transportation to ease traffic was not an
easy task. We have to ensure that the city’s public transportation choices
are as comfortable as their private cars so they are willing to leave their
cars at home,” Bernhard said. ----

This very well describes the dilemma that many transport policy makers
believe themselves to be in.  Restrictions on the use of private cars can
only work if you provide an alternative which delivers the same quality of
service to those who need to change their behaviour.  I would argue that
this is a false choice. If we accept that the mobility experience of the
private car users (which are in total a small minority of all people) come
at a price (pollution, congestion, safety concerns) for the majority of the
people why should the government not be allowed to restrict this
harmful behaviour?  I realize of course that there are political forces at
play that could in some cases ensure that the policy makers/planners
calling for such decisions would be soon out of a job.  It is important to
consider the ethical dimension of this question.

Cornie

City urged to increase on-street parking fees
The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Jakarta | Fri, October 19 2012, 9:08 AM
A- A A+

Paper Edition | Page: 10

The city’s transportation council said the Jakarta administration should
immediately raise on-street parking fees to reduce the number of vehicles
parked on the city’s overcrowded streets.

The Jakarta Transportation Council said the price hike was necessary as
they found that more motorists are now parking their vehicles on the
streets in response to the administration’s recent decision to increase
off-street parking fees.

“This means that the policy to increase off-street parking fees has not
only failed to help ease traffic congestion, but it also encouraged the
public to park on the street, which only worsened traffic congestion in
some areas,” council chairman Azas Tigor Nainggolan said on Thursday.

Based on his observations, traffic congestion in some parts of Jakarta,
including Casablanca and Setiabudi, is worsening due to the rising number
of vehicles parked on the roads. “We are urging the administration to
ensure that the fare is much more expensive than the off-street parking
fare to stop the bad parking habits,” Azas added.

Transportation Ministry inspector-general Iskandar Abubakar said that the
fee of the on-street parking should be adjusted into three city zones,
namely the central zone, the in-between zone and the sub district zones.
“For the city central parking zone, the fee should be increased by 400
percent, for the in-between areas the fare should be increased by 200
percent, while the parking fee in the subdistrict doesn’t need to be
increased,” Iskandar said.

According to Iskandar, the administration’s policy to ban on-street parking
on Jl. Gajah Mada and Jl. Hayam Wuruk in Central and West Jakarta last year
had been proven effective in easing traffic in the area.

As previously reported, the transportation agency observed a 60 percent
improvement in road capacity, following the ban of on-street parking on Jl.
Gajah Mada and Jl. Hayam Wuruk.

“The policy to increase the on-street parking fares in the city would have
the same effect in regards to road capacity in Jakarta,” Iskandar said.
“Because for every one square-meter of road that is used as a parking
space, the road capacity is decreased to around 500 vehicles,” he added.

According to Iskandar, the city administration felt uneasy about increasing
on-street and off-street parking fares at the same time because it was seen
as a non-populist policy. “The policy to increase both off-street and
on-street parking fees would obviously crush the middle class, as they
would be forced to leave their cars or motorcycles at home and take public
transportation. But they will understand why the policy should be
implemented by the time the system is working,” Iskandar said.

Meanwhile, the head of the Jakarta Transportation Agency’s engineering
management unit, Bernhard Hutajulu, said that the agency was still
conducting studies regarding the planned on-street parking fee hike. He
added that the administration was also mulling a plan to ensure that city’s
public transportation was good enough to accommodate the shifting use of
transportation, following the plan to increase parking fees.

“Asking the public to start using public transportation to ease traffic was
not an easy task. We have to ensure that the city’s public transportation
choices are as comfortable as their private cars so they are willing to
leave their cars at home,” Bernhard said.

The Jakarta administration had raised off-street parking fees on Oct. 8,
with the fees for cars between Rp 3,000 ( US 31 cents) and Rp 5,000 for the
first hour.

For every subsequent hour, the fees are Rp 2,000 to Rp 4,000. Previously,
the fees were between
Rp 2,000 and Rp 3,000 for the first hour. For motorcycles it is Rp 1,000 to
Rp 2,000 per hour. *(nad)*

cornie.huizenga at slocatpartnership.org
www.slocat.net