RE: [sustran] HC tells UT to declare at least one area a ‘no vehicle’ zone- Fazilka Ecocabs

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sat Sep 24 18:26:28 JST 2011

This is in many ways good news but with the following caveat.

It is my firm belief that the move to sustainability agenda requires more than piecemeal actions, and that everything we managed to accomplish in any given place should be part of a broader coherent and consistent plan.  Ad hoc actions really make sense only if they are of a nature that leads to a more strategic overall plan.

One of the nice things about no-car, low-car, or eco-zones, by whatever name, is that if we get them right there example can "lead" over to other areas of the city where inhabitants and local politicians see that this is a formula which could work for them as well.

But just let me urge you to bear in mind that there is no substitute for a broad, convincing, strategic overview and plan.

Eric Britton

PS.  I know of course that most of the readers of this list understand the importance of this approach, but I simply could not resist writing this short note in response to the very interesting news from Navdeep, for which I thank you.

   Eric Britton, Editor / Managing Director
   World Streets / New Mobility Partnerships  / Sustainability Seminar Series
   8, rue Jospeh Bara   75006 Paris France
   Tel. +331 7550 3788   |  editor at newmobility.org   |  Skype: newmobility

 Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement