[sustran] Shell Tries to Greenwash Fracking [for gas for transport] in South Africa

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.eu
Wed May 25 03:12:42 JST 2011

Shell Tries to Greenwash Fracking [for gas for transport] in South Africa
by Andreas Spath
24.5.2011

http://www.care2.com/causes/environment/blog/shell-tries-to-greenwash-fracking-in-south-africa/

I've recently written about the moratorium the South African government
has imposed on hydraulic fracturing, the polluting and water-intense
method to extract natural gas from underground layers of shale rock,
also referred to as fracking. While I was cautiously optimistic about
this development, I also mentioned that the companies involved are
unlikely to simply take it lying down.

Well, they're not. Shell, the multinational oil and gas giant that wants
to explore for shale gas in 90,000 square kilometers of the semi-arid
Karoo region, has been distributing flyers at petrol stations that aim
to convince South Africans that fracking is a good thing. A closer look
reveals that it's simply a case of corporate greenwashing -- an attempt
to present an environmentally hazardous practice as clean and beneficial.

Don't trust Shell

The flyer, entitled Shell and the Karoo contains pictures of a happy
family of locals, a beautiful Karoo landscape and what appears to be
sparklingly clear swimming pool water. The text speaks emotively of
Shell's "commitments to the People of South Africa" and of the Karoo as
"a special place" that "we must preserve […] for our future and our
children's future." There is talk of not competing with local
inhabitants for their water needs, global best practices and
consultation with experts and citizen advisory groups.

The pamphlet is geared at convincing readers that Shell is a company
that we can trust our country with, but even a cursory look at their
past proves the contrary. Shell has a most atrocious and downright
criminal environmental and human rights record, especially in Africa.
They are repeat offenders that cannot be trusted.

Not listening to the people

The flyer also claims that Shell knows that "people are concerned,"
which is why they are "involved in extensive consultations to ensure we
listen and reflect those concerns in our exploration plans." I went to
one of these public consultations in Cape Town. Shell was roundly
slated, discredited and essentially booed off the stage. By all accounts
every other consultation, especially those held in the small towns of
the Karoo itself, went pretty much the same way. Everywhere they went to
listen to the people, Shell was told that their fracking plans were not
wanted. Contrary to their claims, they didn't listen to the people's
wishes, otherwise they wouldn't be continuing to try to convince us of
their good intentions.

Just another fossil fuel dead-end

Beyond the rather obvious public relations spin, the flyer also contains
some more factual greenwashing. On several occasions, the Karoo's
natural gas potential is presented as a "plentiful," "sustainable" and
"stable, alternative energy source" that can "help secure South Africa's
energy future" by "reducing our dependence on coal." All of which is
rather fanciful since the extent of the potential shale gas reserves
beneath the Karoo are entirely unknown as yet and there is no guarantee
that any natural gas produced in the region would necessarily be made
available to South Africans themselves. The only thing that is
guaranteed is that Shell would stand to make very substantial financial
profits.

The basic fact is that any shale gas from the Karoo would simply be
another source of non-renewable fossil fuels, sure to run out sooner
rather than later, and providing no long-term solution to either our
current addiction to coal or our energy future. Far from reducing our
dependence on coal, producing shale gas in the Karoo would continue to
steer us down a fossil-fuelled dead-end and diminish our opportunities
for exploiting the abundant, truly sustainable, clean, renewable energy
solutions available in the region, in particular solar power.

No cleaner than coal

Finally, an actual lie. Shell's flyer describes the gas to be produced
in the Karoo as a "more environmentally friendly" option that is "40%
more energy efficient" and "emits 50-70% less CO2 than coal." Now while
that may be the case for conventional natural gas, it's simply not true
for shale gas mined by hydraulic fracturing. Shell can hardly claim to
be ignorant of recent studies that show that over its complete
lifecycle, fracked shale gas releases as much CO2 as coal or
substantially more.

The flyer is little more than an underhanded attempt at presenting
fracking in South Africa as something that it is not and its contents
should be rejected with contempt. Let's hope that those who read it
understand that Shell is trying to hoodwink them.

Take Action: Sign the petition to stop hydrofracking in the Karoo.

-----
Andreas is a book shop manager and freelance writer in Cape Town, South
Africa. Follow him on Twitter: @Andreas_Spath

--

Todd Edelman
Green Idea Factory,