[sustran] Re: The Seven Simple Truths of Sustainable Mobility (Come argue with me)

Enrique Rebolledo er at bajoencarbono.com
Sat Feb 26 02:33:50 JST 2011

Great points, but I'm not sure this seven truths apply to all
countries, particularly when it comes to the following:

1. "Imported fossil fuels". many countries, and the industries they
rely on now, will be, at least partially, the promoters of innovative
methods to get the technology we need, being that based on fossil
fuels (imported or not) or renewable energy. Of course this has to be
taken into account with any changes in relative prices of transport
and ownership of transport means.

2. When talking with many stake holders and policy makers,
particularly in Latin America, their main concern is time saving, due
to the loss of productivity these countries experience in having
people to spend more than 4 hours in getting to work (back and forth).
Of course, the saved emissions are also important, but at this point
they are more on the political side, and don't really mobilize
decisions. Perhaps with credited NAMAs we could see a switch from this
in the future.

My two cents.

Enrique