[sustran] The Challenge of Social Spaces

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Feb 23 23:35:32 JST 2011

Would you like to help with this?

I would love to see a map of a city, perhaps your city, which is color coded
to show what we call "social space".  Examples would include of course
things like parks large and small, pedestrian zones, streets where traffic
is so slow that people have the definite priority, bikeable streets and
paths, recuperated public spaces, and other parts of the city in which
people can meet, walk, talk, gawk, play, buy and sell, offer services, etc.
freely and in safety.

The map could be lightly done and does not have to be authoritative. But is
does have to give a fair idea of the state of these special spaces in your
city.

I am working on this in support of an open program with the CfM team
entitled The Challenge of Social Spaces, which I believe is taking some
original approaches and ideas . It may not be enough to save the world or
your city, but it is, I sincerely believe, a path worth pursuing. So thanks
if you have any thoughts on this, and if you wish to see more, please get in
touch.

Eric Britton

PS. There are of course public spaces which are not social spaces, for all
sorts of reasons.  Nor does anything keep me as a land owner from turning
all or some part of the land I own into a genuine social space.  (Brings up
some interesting questions, like is a shopping mall really a social space?
And others.   Worth thinking about.)

| 8-10, rue Joseph Bara 75006 Paris.  | +331 75503788. |
<mailto:eric.britton at newmobility.org> eric.britton at newmobility.org  |
Skype:  newmobility  |

Read World Streets at  <http://worldstreets.org/> http://worldstreets.org  |

weekly edition: Click  <http://wp.me/P15YEC-a2> here

edition: Click  <http://nuovamobilita.wordpress.com/media/abbonamenti/> here

New Mobility Partnerships  –  <http://www.newmobility.org/>
http://www.newmobility.org

__._,_.___

Reply to
<mailto:eric.britton at ecoplan.org?subject=Re%3A%20The%20Challenge%20of%20Soci
al%20Spaces> sender | Reply to
<mailto:CarFreeCafe at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20The%20Challenge%20of%20S
ocial%20Spaces> group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic ()

Recent Activity:

NzE0BGdycElkAzEwMjU5MTAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NzI0ODc0BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3Rp
bWUDMTI5ODQ3MTA3MQ--> Visit Your Group

"CarFreeCafe in Cities" at http://CarFreeCafe.org
Organize a Car/Free Day: The nose of the camel.
World Car/Free Days at http://worldcarfreeday.com
To post messages: CarFreeCafe at yahoogroups.com
Also check out New Mobility Agenda at http://newmobility.org
Need some help? Send an email to Help at newmobility.org
Or call via Skype to "newmobility'

MARKETPLACE

Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the
Fibromyalgia Zone today!
<http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15oiium0r/M=493064.14543977.14365476.108355
68/D=groups/S=1705724874:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1298478276/L=a406018a-3f58-11e0-a2
4e-c7be4816d40e/B=5MrTDEwNPLA-/J=1298471076275807/K=k0fuqBHYXk2PaYthNyCyzg/A
=6260316/R=0/SIG=11bc8n8gt/*http:/custom.yahoo.com/fibromyalgiazone/>

  _____

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get
the Yahoo! Toolbar now.
<http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15onpn9qn/M=493064.14543979.14365478.132984
30/D=groups/S=1705724874:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1298478276/L=a406018a-3f58-11e0-a2
4e-c7be4816d40e/B=48rTDEwNPLA-/J=1298471076275807/K=k0fuqBHYXk2PaYthNyCyzg/A
=6060255/R=0/SIG=1194m4keh/*http:/us.toolbar.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=grpj>

jU5MTAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NzI0ODc0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMjk4NDcxMDcx>
Yahoo! Groups

Switch to:
<mailto:CarFreeCafe-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20
Format:%20Traditional> Text-Only,