[sustran] Research study: households' residential location choice and mobility patterns

Zuhair Rana blueboypjb at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 22:15:40 JST 2010

Hello Friends,Please spare FIVE minutes and go through the following message and also forward this message to your friends/colleges with personal request. All replies should be sent to the following email ID: blueboypjb at yahoo.comMany Thanks and with kind regardsRana---------------------------------------------RESIDENTIAL LOCATION CHOICE PREFERENCE AND MOBILITY PATTERNS Dear Participants, School of Built Environment, University of Ulster is carrying out a research study residential location choice and households' mobility patterns. The purpose of the study is to improve our understanding about the ways in which urban planning, especially the location of residential areas, influences travel behaviour among residents. Such knowledge may contribute to the reduction of traffic problems and improve the environment. We hope that you will be able to spare just FIVE MINUTES and write your opinions which will be very valuable in developing a research
 questionnaire. Participation is open to all adults. All replied should me sent to the following email: bluboypjb at yahoo.com Information collected from this survey will be kept confidentially and used for research purposes only. Ethical Approval has been granted by the University of Ulster. If you have specific questions or comments please contact me.

Thank you very much for your co-operation!  To develop a research survey we need your own brief STATEMENTS /OPINIONS regarding your residential location choice perception/preference. The following key factors in housing location choice have been shown to be important: Housing factors (number of rooms, aesthetic aspects of building, parking, garden)Neighbourhood index (near to school, shopping centre, park, friends & relatives)Residential built environment (quietness, green area, safety, attraction)Accessibility (job, connection to public transport)Car dependency (habit, attitude)Cost (housing cost - monthly rent/mortgage, transportation cost)Social Status (neighbourhood compatible with lifestyle, social compatibility) Can you please write your OWN statement(s) that best suits your preferences for residential location choice?  Examples:   (i) Access to public transport is important for my housing location

                              (ii) A green and quiet neighbourhood
                     (iii) School/grocery store at walking distance is 1st priority for my family  Note: The best way to write the statement is using INTUITIVE thought. Please write in your statements in the space provided below 1st Statement ……………………………………………………………… 2nd Statement ……………………………………………………………. 3rd Statement ……………………………………………………………… 4th Statement ………………………………………………………………  Best wishes, Rana Zahid02D10, School of Built Environment,Shore Road, Jordanstown,University of Ulster, BT37 0QB