[sustran] Re: How many more conferences??

bruun at seas.upenn.edu bruun at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Sep 8 02:29:32 JST 2010

Dear Kanthi, Eric and others:

I think the thrust of this discussion is that many changes most of us
on this listserve would like to see seem to get talked and studied to
death. My example from the US is Transit Signal Priority (TSP). For
years people would be studying algorithms even though there are lots
from other countries that could be borrowed. Also, cost-benefit
analyses would be performed and presented. But the real problem was
institutions and political power (or lack thereof), not technical
understanding or lack of strong justifications for TSP.

My personal experience is that, unless there is a real champion in the
local or state government, trying
to educate decision makers is a waste of time. I know that this isn't
true everywhere, but it is often the case. For example, where I live,
Philadelphia, the attitude of many politicians is based on their
experience of growing up here. To many of them, transit was seen as
just for the poor and maybe as a supplement for the peak hours. These
people don't see it as important to the fabric of the city. But I
don't say they are anti-transit, they often aren't well informed about
other urban issues either, like energy conservation, housing, parking,
etc.  Often it is wishful thinking to view them as academic types who
try hard to inform themselves.

It is hard to have successful outreach to the public, either. In the
US, deregulation of TV and radio have made it so that there are very
few public service ads or TV shows where the public can learn about
different possibilities. One must be very self motivated. Meanwhile,
there is no shortage of unfair statements that news shows leave
unchallenged. For example, there is always mention of transit as
requiring subsidies, but almost never any mention of the fact that
auto use is highly subsidized and competing for our tax money beside
transit, schools, parks, fire, police, etc.

Also, even well-intentioned decison makers can't do anything if the
governance structures are undemocratic or obsolete. So, I think if any
conferences are to be held, they don't need to be about engineering
and cost-benefit technical analyses, they need to be about means of
outreach to the public to inform them about alternatives, and about
legislative changes to make institutions more responsive to
aforementioned technical analyses.

Eric Bruun