[sustran] Re: Fwd: [UTSG] Transitioning countries, traffic operations and demands for expensive engineering solutions

Bina C.Balakrishnan binacb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 01:05:43 JST 2010

Hi Rob,

I have always found that discussing with the stakeholders makes a huge
difference. Have you had talks with the people immediately affected by the
proposed construction?

Is this project funded by the local authorities? If so, I don’t think this
will work, and you may have very few options. But if its by another funding
agency, get them to organise a workshop which will actually be a public
consultation or public participation.

What I would do is:

-          Spend a little time and money and make sketch plans of the
possible alternatives

-          Get visuals of other places in the world where this approach has
worked (this is a very powerful tool)

-          Prepare a power point presentation with a comparative statement /
chart with lots of visuals about the negative impact of the grade separator
construction, ESPECIALLY its impact on the residents in its immediate
vicinity, vis-a-vis visuals of your more environmentally friendly
recommendation

-          Call a workshop of ALL stakeholders and present this at the
workshop. You will need lots of visuals, and limited text. Invite planners,
engineers, decision makers, residents, shop owners, business community,
activists, Chambers of Commerce, academics, university heads, etc etc.

-          Make sure you have representation from all the newspapers and
other media. If this place is in India, the media is very powerful. And I
mean IS VERY powerful.

-          Make sure you include impacts on climate change, public health
(esp air pollution and respiratory diseases), flooding, accidents, safety,
etc etc. Include benefits to the residents.

-          Also include the impact of disruption during construction (plus a
lot of stuff)

-          If this is India, it will be all over the papers the next day.
This should tip the balance in your favour.

We’ve used this approach in the past. Of course, we didn’t have the kind of
opposition you seem to be facing, but we certainly got the people to accept
what we were offering – and very unconventional offerings too. I’m guessing
the politicians would like to win the next election?

Best

Bina

--
Bina C. Balakrishnan