[sustran] Things Pune can learn from Ahmedabad BRTS

Vinay Baindur yanivbin at gmail.com
Mon May 24 04:35:32 JST 2010

Things Pune can learn from Ahmedabad BRTS
Sakaal Times
http://www.sakaaltimes.com/SakaalTimesBeta/20100518/5570006729933282533.htm

<../SearchNews.aspx?tag=CEPT>

*Abhijit Lokre is an assistant professor at the Faculty of Planning and
Public Policy at CEPT University. He is involved in R&D work at the newly
opened ‘Centre for Excellence in Urban Transport’ and coordinates all design
related work for the BRT systems in Ahmedabad and Surat. Born and brought up
in Maharashtra, Lokre studied in Pune. Sakàl Times talked to him to
understand the much talked about BRTS in Ahmedabad.*

The first phase of BRTS Ahmedabad has reached a break even point (on running
cost) in less than nine months. What is the secret behind this success
considering the similar projects have not been as successful in other cities
of the country.

The Centre for Environment Planning and Technology (CEPT) University,
Ahmedabad never confined itself to being a consultancy engaged in preparing
the Detailed Project Report for the BRTS. We were in the thick of the
implementation, working with experts from the Ahmedabad Municipal
Corporation, the state government and the central committee of the JNNURM.
We were available every time things needed to be reworked, modified or
adjusted. But the biggest force behind the whole project has been our chief
minister, Narendra Modi. He conducted frequent reviews, motivated us and saw
that all our needs be met.

*Give us an idea of how big this project is?*

The whole project stretches along 88.8 km. Of this 25 km is currently in
operational mode. There are 38 buses plying on this route. We have adopted
the closed and segregated route for BRTS, so that the route is a dedicated
route.  No other vehicles are allowed on it. Right now we run 38 buses, and
the peak frequency is three minutes. At other times frequency is maintained
at a minimum of 8 minutes.

*How will it progress from here?*

This is a Rs 1,000 crore project under the JNNURM. In all 58 km will be
covered in the first phase and the remaining 30 km will be covered in the
second one.

*How did you go about the project?*

The bird’s eye view plan was ready before we began work. We figured that we
would have to run the BRTS along roads of different widths ranging from 40
metres to 18 metres. Smaller roads will have a one way BRT. The BRT along
the 18 metres roads, will run on a soon to be constructed elevated road.

*How can you maintain such good frequency?*

We have a control room that monitors each and every bus through a GPRS
systems and alerts the drivers on how slow or fast they need to keep. Each
bus needs to wait for no more than a minute at each bus stop. This is
because the bus stop platforms (900 mm high) are perfectly aligned with the
floor of the bus. It takes just a few seconds for passenger to get in or out
of the bus. The other part is taken care of by an efficient signalling
system which does not allow the buses much of stoppages along the way.

*What's the role of the existing local public transporter?*

We have completely detached it from Ahmedabad Municipal transport. The buses
are privately owned. The AMC did give it a seed capital of Rs 5 cr.  The bus
design was prepared at CEPT.

*What kind of outreach programme did you implement to encourage public
participation?*

We ran the service free of cost initially. High mobility periods like
Navratri's were picked up for free rides. Stalls were put up at various
exhibitions. And the municipal commissioner briefed the media every Tuesday
on the progress of the project.

*Do private vehicle owners not try to get into the dedicated lanes?*

Chief minister Modi, himself set an example when he reprimanded his drivers
publicly when they brief to get his convoy into the BRTS lane. But people
are so happy with the BRTS service that they have sense of ownership of the
system and feel the need to protect and strengthen it.

*AHMEDABAD BRTS SETS AN EXAMPLE FOR OTHER CITIES*

- Political parties need to have a strong belief in the ability of a BRTS
system to solve urban public transport problems.

- Ruling party leaders should decide what they want to do with the project.
Do they wish to deliver an efficient public transport through it or nourish
it as a continuously cost escalating project.

- Tough decisions on maintaining its character as a closed BRT. Say no to
encroachment.

- Put experts to supervise and control project. Current officials clearly
lack appreciation of the nuisances of a BRT project.

- Detach it from the PMPML and let it have an independent unique identity.

- Review the current DPR to address ground realities.

- Transparency. Let people know what's happening.

- BRT cannot work in bits and pieces. We need to go beyond pilot projects to
have an integrated system for the whole city.