[sustran] Re: Is park-and-ride a bad idea for Asian cities?

Jains alok.priyanka at gmail.com
Thu May 13 18:55:09 JST 2010

Paul,

>From a greenfield planning perspective, what you say is absolutely correct
but we are talking about providing reasonable solutions to cities already
mired with car ownership problems. For a drowning (wo)man, a lifeline is
important.. discussing quality of this lifeline for him/her is irrelevant.

I am living in Mumbai right now and been guilty (if one likes to put it that
way) of recommending provisions for park-and-ride to many developments close
to future metro stations. If I was God (hope I am not committing
blasphemy!!), I would make all cars disappear and replace it with a swank
public transport system but unfortunately my powers are far from it.
Shouldn't planner take present as a given and plan for a better future?

I do have a utopian dream but can't see better immediate solution.

BTW, I am soon going to commit another crime - buy a car!!! So many times, I
got out of railway station and can't find any connection to my last 10-15
minute of journey (the last mile problem). Taxis/Autos (who are great at the
place where I live.. I guess they recognise me now) just flatly refuse to
take my patronage (may be I am too ugly!!). I have explored walk/bicycle as
options but in Mumbai heat and unruly traffic, its suicidal at best. Does
anybody know how many pedestrians get killed every day in Mumbai?

We discussed this in Hong Kong and I am looking forward to your report. I
have been involved with many a parking demand study in Mumbai lately and
found many interesting characteristics. Perhaps you have already captured
those in your report.

Regards
Alok