[sustran] Re: Pedestrian overpasses

Simon Bishop simon.bishop at dimts.in
Tue Mar 16 20:54:24 JST 2010

Dear All,

Since some of you had asked me about the TfL study that emerged with a BCR of 7.6:1 in favor of removing subways this is the link to the Surface Transport Paper.  I had to open in Quick View.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:cA2JhuV_JJMJ:www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/Item10-Subways.pdf+surface+transport+tfl+subways&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgU7ro3qNVfUdlfq6e6a4vvbGWhwUgnTBXKKBpimGVLJHVE2qEdphGYl1kX-jKrN__AtVQLsle2toM9Rm6YTRR-7BmArDE-PAdUMh06k5jVQXwp4TJevWidrVBbY_uHlOGvf48O&sig=AHIEtbTQ7M55zdSMgjXOQQG4LQn2pzdDdQ

1.   Item 10 - Subways- Surface Transport Panel 24 February 2009<http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tfl.gov.uk%2Fassets%2Fdownloads%2Fcorporate%2FItem10-Subways.pdf&rct=j&q=surface+transport+tfl+subways&ei=31CfS5_wEILHrAe8g_W2Dg&usg=AFQjCNGl8k7TBsZc8dMVKP4ekx11FrbTQQ>

A few excerpts from meetings of the Surface Transport Panel at TfL that compare nicely to when to 'install' FOBs.

My question is, 'Why do we have to repeat all the same mistakes again?'.

STREETS

Pedestrian Guardrail Removal

8.1 All pedestrian guardrail on the Transport for London Road Network has been assessed for removal. TfL now plans to remove 52 kilometres of pedestrian guardrail by June 2010, achieving our overall target to remove 60 kilometres of guardrail from the TLRN.

Elephant and Castle Southern Roundabout - [a 'nightmare' roundabout with six arterial route arms in South London]

8.2 On 15 February, works to transform Elephant and Castle southern roundabout to a signalled junction began. The preliminary works will involve preparations for new traffic signals and street lighting, repairs to drainage systems and temporary alterations to the traffic island on the approach to the roundabout from Walworth Road.

8.3 Main works get underway this summer and will include putting in new cycle lanes and advanced stop lines for cyclists at junctions. Paved areas next to the roads will also be widened to provide more space for pedestrians and cyclists to navigate the junction quickly and safely. As traffic lights are being installed, the subways around the roundabout will be filled in and replaced with surface crossings, providing easier crossing options for local residents. New trees will be planted, and railings and other unnecessary clutter related to the subways removed. The main works are scheduled to complete by early 2011.