[sustran] Re: Pedestrian overpasses

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 17:29:13 JST 2010

Thanks Eric,
I have seen a few of these (short films) on Mobilien and will catch up with
the rest through the links you have kindly given. And I agree that if done
properly, the street design itself should offer considerable assistance to
the road users.
Warm regards,
--
Sujit

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Eric Britton <eric.britton at ecoplan.org>wrote:

> When it comes to BRT and safe pedestrian crossings, it might be useful for
> you to have a quick look at the Paris experience.
>
> One of the interesting things about the 17 or so lines which are now given
> over to the Parisian version of BRT, which is called Mobilien, is that
> instead of a "one size fits all" approach the technicians here have decided
> to modulate many aspects of the system with reference to the specifics of
> the geometry and other characteristics of the streets and areas being
> served.
>
> What I can offer you on this busy Tuesday morning is not a complete
> exegesis
> of how all this works here -sorry no time ---  but I can point you to a
> short film made by our friends from Streetfilms in New York during the
> course of the visit to Paris shopping around for ideas that might have some
> eventual usefulness in the American context.  You can find their
> three-minute introductory film clip at
> http://www.streetfilms.org/mobilien/
>
> Of course Paris is not Mumbai and while there are enormous differences in
> terms of size and density and variety of traffic and other street users, it
> is still perhaps not uninteresting to observe a couple things about the
> approach they have taken.  First, you can see from the film the very
> careful
> treatment of intersections, the excellent street markings, the placement of
> the signals and  the stops, and the use of traffic islands so that it is
> possible for pedestrians to cross larger streets in stages.  Another
> characteristic of Paris traffic is that the street system is very dense,
> which means that in there are relatively very few long stretches without
> intersecting streets and signals.  The Mobilien system and the engineers
> behind it have done a first rate job of putting these pieces together for
> this particular city and the thoughtful words of the engineer in charge of
> the system are I believe worthy of reflection.
>
> Eric Britton
>

> World Streets  .  www.worldstreets.org    Open Edition:
> www.open.worldstreets.org
> 8/10, rue Jospeh Bara  .  Paris 75006 France
> +331 7550 3788  .  eric.britton at newmobility.org  .  Skype newmobility
> New Mobility Partnerships   . www.partners.newmobility.org
> 9440 Readcrest Drive  .   Los Angeles, CA 90210
> +1 213 984 1277 .  fekbritton at gmail.org .  Skype ericbritton

> sustran-discuss and get full membership rights.

> (the 'Global South').

“..each million we invest into urban motorways is an investment
to destroy the city“

Mayor Hans Joachim Vogel
Munich 1970

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujitjp at gmail.com
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627