[sustran] World Streets Open Edition - An invitation

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sun Mar 14 19:14:06 JST 2010

cid:image013.png at 01CAC2FF.54562060

Dear Sustran friends,

This is to announce a new World Streets project  - World Streets Open
Edition at Www.open.WorldStreets.org  -- which we have decided to develop in
order to provide easy access for those colleagues living outside of cities
and other parts of the world where high-speed Internet connections are not
generally available.  I wonder if you might have a look and give me your
feedback on three basic issues which we will need to resolve if we are going
to continue to develop and make available this free sustainability tool.

1.     Are you able to access it relatively easy with a dial-up or other
lower speed connection?  And if you run into any problems in some part of
the site, kindly let us know so we can try to either fix it or find a
satisfactory workaround.

2.     Do you find the content and the overall approach something which is
worthy and possibly of use to you?  Fortunately at the main World Streets
blog (which does really require high-speed access) we know the answer since
the site is being heavily used every day and many of our colleagues in
different places around the world are participating with articles, comments,
and suggestions for us.  But with the new project like this we depend on
individual feedback.

3.       And finally, if you have working familiarity with any of the other
dozen languages that are handled on the site, or if English is not your most
comfortable working language, would you mind having a look at the machine
translation engine which will find on the upper left of every page of the
site.  What is your reaction as far as the quality of the translation is
concerned?  yes, it is not perfect and at times a bit strange, but does not
get the basic message across?  That is the fundamental issue that we need to
sort out.  (For further background on this, may I point you to the article
that you will find on the Open Edition menu for 10 March, plus the
background note at http://tinyurl.com/ws-languages.)

If your time and interest permit, it would be much appreciated if you could
get back to us on this.  We want to do a good job but it is also important
that it is going to be useful.

Many thanks,

Eric Britton

Note: New Paris tel. +331 7550 3788 . Kindly change your records.

World Streets  .   <http://www.worldstreets.org/> www.worldstreets.org
Open Edition: www.open.worldstreets.org

8/10, rue Jospeh Bara  .  Paris 75006 France

+331 7550 3788  .   <mailto:eric.britton at newmobility.org>
eric.britton at newmobility.org  .  Skype newmobility

New Mobility Partnerships   .  <http://www.partners.newmobility.org>
www.partners.newmobility.org

9440 Readcrest Drive  .   Los Angeles, CA 90210

+1 213 984 1277 .   <mailto:fekbritton at gmail.org> fekbritton at gmail.org .
Skype ericbritton