[sustran] Re: How many more conferences??

Kanthi Kannan kanthikannan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 13:10:31 JST 2010

Dear all

Greetings!!

It is sad to read about more and more conferences that talk about how urban
transport needs to change its image and as to how the NMT is so critical and
PT has to be improved.

When will we implement? Or even talk about the basic steps that need to be
taken??

Even today many of our municipal commissioner talk about how roads are the
priority and how only people like us talk about pedestrian infrastructure.
To make these people understand our perspective is a tough ask because even
as they do, they get transferred out.

The questions that we need to raise are this:

1.	Is there a clear cut implementation plan after the conferences?
2.	In India, the urban transport is a state subject and hence the
centre can only formulate the policy. Yet there is a lot that the central
urban transport can do; they can call a meeting of the stakeholders say in
the state capital and get the state urban authorities to attend the meeting
and get a clear cut directive laid down.

It is really tragic that in the 21st century we are subjected to the
humiliating sight of men relieving themselves and we as a nation unable to
stop them. Who is responsible for this?

I find it strange that in all our conferences, we do have the government
representatives and yet there does not seem to be any change on the ground.

IT is time that WE STOPPED TALKING AND

A.	Ensured that pedestrian are able to cross the road
B.	Encroachments such as vehicles parked on the footpaths, debris on
the footpaths was removed/ banned
C.	Stop men relieving themselves in the open

 The minute we talk about clearing up of footpaths, there is a great lobby
that talks about the hawkers. FORGET THE HAWKERS.

Thanks

Kanthi

THOSE WHO WALK CANNOT DECIDE AND THOSE WHO DECIDE DO NOT WALK

PS: I am not giving up. We shall win in the end but prolonging the war is
expensive and a lot of lives are lost. Prevent loss of life

KK