[sustran] Re: Give cyclist a safety wing

Ian Perry ianenvironmental at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 21 22:12:24 JST 2010

Hi Chu Wa,

This is an interesting idea.  Has this been tested in windy conditions and
how much drag is there on the cyclist?  I'd be worried about being blown
backwards in strong winds.  In the event of a strong gust of crosswind, what
happens to the cyclist, and any other cyclist alongside them?  Does the
"Cyclist Wing" make it more difficult for other cyclists to use the road -
as there is less space for others and overtaking by other cyclists becomes
more hazardous?

There are similar products already such as "safety" flags:
http://americansafetyflag.com/products-page/?category=20&product_id=36

Cyclists on the street space that motorists believe is theirs do need to
take ownership of a larger area than many do to be safe.  I think it is
possible that people who are afraid to use a bicycle on the road would feel
more comfortable on a larger cargo tricycle.

n the UK, most motorists believe that they have a right to use the road
because the have paid "Road Tax".  I have had a car for 20 years, but I have
never paid "Road Tax".  I'm not illegal, Winston Churchill abolished "Road
Tax" in the UK in 1937 - because the tax was not making enough to cover the
cost of roads.  It might be worth checking if "Road Tax" really exists in
your country.  In the UK we have Vehicle Excise Duty, not Road Tax.
<http://americansafetyflag.com/products-page/?category=20&product_id=36>

As for the air filter - does a cyclist really want to collect and take home
the pollution of others?

Ian