[sustran] FW: CILT survey

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sat Aug 21 01:59:15 JST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Norton [mailto:S.Norton at dpmms.cam.ac.uk]
Sent: Friday, 20 August, 2010 18:24
To: newmobilitycafe at yahoogroups.com

I had heard about this survey from another e-group.

The results do not instil much confidence in me about the capacity of CILT
members for consistent thinking, even bearing in mind that they are not a
monolithic group.

How can one support protecting public spending to reduce carbon emissions
while
targeting railcards, pensioners' bus passes and rural accessibility for
cuts,
leaving the car as the only affordable option for many journeys ?

The fact is that if the Government introduced measures which brought our
public
transport system up to standard, especially in terms of coverage, then it
could
raise virtually as much money as it needed from motoring taxes, because few
people would need to use cars (other than those who make a specific choice
live in remote places, and for business purposes where the cost would be
passed
on to the customer), and if motorists switched to public transport en masse
then
the Government would still benefit financially because less money would be
needed for subsidies.

 Simon Norton