[sustran] Sustran, Sharing and Kaohsiung 2010 - An invitation

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Aug 13 23:50:06 JST 2010

English :  <http://www.kaohsiung.sharetransport.org/>
www.kaohsiung.sharetransport.org

Chinese :  <http://www.kaohsiung-sharetransport.com.tw/>
www.kaohsiung-sharetransport.com.tw

Contacts:  <http://www.contact.kaohsiung.sharetransport.org/>
www.contact.kaohsiung.sharetransport.org

Sustran Hello,

Let me see. There are 141 of us here on Sustran today, with the first of us
having piled in during early Autumn 1999.  Most of us came in when we were
thinking about an Asia-Pacific orientation, but truth to tell, and while
joined here and there by friends from Latin America and Africa, our main
domain of interest (and complaint, and occasionally hope) has Asia. Maybe
one day we will really become a Global South forum, but the simple truth is
that in most of this time we have been oriented to the changes in this part
of the world.

1.     Share Transport for Asia? Which is why I would now like to draw your
attention to a project that a team lead by Jason Chang, whom most of you
know thought his pioneering work in bringing new sustainable transport ideas
in different parts of Asia, and seconded by your servant as co-chair, have
decided to open an Asian conversation about a sustainability approach which
has taken hold in many parts of the world but which none of us yet seem to
have fully understood - namely the concept of "shared transport". If you go
to Www.kaohsiung.sharetransport.org  you will see all about - and if you
prefer it in Chinese try http://www.kaohsiung-sharetransport.com.tw/

2.     Invitation to Kaohsiung 2010: The first World Share/Transport Forum
which is meeting next month in Kaohsiung and to which everyone here is
cordially invited. What does this mean in more concrete terms?  Well we have
no funds for international travel, but for anyone from Sustran who wishes to
come to Kaohsiung and take active part in the conference, we can at the very
least offer free access to the conference and all the associated events. In
some cases we may be able to find some support to help in covering local
lodging costs - and to make your stay more agreeable and to open up the city
of Kaohsiung fully we are providing not only free public transport passes
for the duration of the conference but also free access to Kaohsiung's
pioneering public bicycle project. And of course first class company - check
out http://www.taskforce.kaohsiung.sharetransport.org/ for bio notes and
pictures of the speakers and panelists.

3.       Young Researchers/Future Leaders Program:  Wonderful idea! We have
just received some first  feed money to initiate this important program, of
which you can the announcement at  <http://future.sharetransport.org/>
http://future.sharetransport.org/. This is  allowing us to bring at least
eight promising young professionals working in different parts of Asia to be
with us for the week - each of whom will be paired off with promising young
Taiwanese working in the same areas hoping to lay the base for a longer term
set of new working relationships.  We are hoping to find a way to bring in
further outstanding candidates.

a.       Might you have some nominees for us? Perhaps some of your own most
promising younger people or other whom you have identified in your field
work?

b.      I should add that this year we are limiting the program to
candidates from Asia.

c.       Also any ideas of additional sources of funding and support.

4.       Next steps:  Kaohsiung 2010 is just the first step in what we
intend will be a long and ambitious process to get the concept of sharing
into a high profile for transport project and programs around the world. We
are already laying the base for a World Share/Transport Forum in China for
2011, and for India in 2012.  Within the last weeks we have arranged for a
delegation of NDRC and Partner Cities of GEF Project will be attending and
will discuss with us about hosting the 2nd World Share/Transport Forum in
China in 2011.  We are also organizing initial Indian presence in this
year's event to get that process moving along.

It's going to be a lively couple of days and I very much hope that you will
be joining us in some way to advance the sharing agenda worldwide. And when
the Kaohsiung 2010 closes its doors on the 18th of next month, the
Share/Transport website and support program will be kept going to support
the future events at www.ShareTransport.org. We are not going to get the job
done with a single conference, no matter how great.

I you have any questions or ideas for us, you know where to turn.

All the best,

Eric

Eric Britton

Program Co-Chair

World Share/Transport Forum - Kaohsiung 2010

 <http://www.britton.newmobility.org/> Eric Britton |
<http://www.worldstreets.org/> WorldStreets.org |
<http://www.newmobility.org/> NewMobility.org  | Skype: newmobility

8, rue Jospeh Bara  | Paris 75006 France | +331 7550 3788