[sustran] Road Safety Infrastructure Spending devoted NMT--project examples and figures needed!

Gabrielle Hermann gabbyherm at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 2 16:05:28 JST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

In writing a section for the forthcoming UNEP paper, "Share the Road:
Minimum 10% for Safety, Sustainability, and Accessibility" (funded by
the FIA Foundation) ITDP Europe has been asked to discuss what current
road infrastructure budget allocations look like in terms of road
safety.

Specifically we need examples of road building projects where the
budget line item for road safety is broken down to show what
percentage and how much is allocated to such NMT infrastructure as
raised sidewalks, traffic signals, separated cycle lanes, road
signage, raised zebra crossings, pedestrian crossing islands, etc.  We
would need to know what percentage of the entire project is devoted to
road safety infrastructure since the paper and the Share the Road
Campaign advocates for devoting at least 10% of road infrastructure
budgets to road safety

We would very much appreciate any suggestion on where we could get
access to such figures for specific projects in either Africa, Asia,
or Latin America.

Thank you in advance,

Gabrielle Hermann
ITDP Europe