[sustran] Re: FW: India - Bosch Horn commercial

Sarath Guttikunda sguttikunda at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 15:45:14 JST 2009

Good points.

I can only quote one example, close to my residence in Delhi.

Along the BRT lane, there is a provision for the  cyclists, 2 meter lane,
which is a great idea. As you get close to the Chirag Dili flyover (from
north), because of the increasing congestion at the junction, the traffic
management decided to convert at least 200m of the cycle lane into a left
only lane for the motor vehicles.

Which is also fine, helps with the congestion and speed up the left turns
(India - we drive on the left side). Now, the annoying thing is when car
drivers honk at the cycles and cycle rickshaws who are in the lane and
obviously going slower than them.. drivers get annoyed at their presence.
And I get annoyed at the drivers honking !!

So, two questions.. (1) driver's indiscipline when given an opportunity to
use a section which does not belong to them and (2) when did a plan for
promoting NMT become an excuse for road expansion?

With regards,
Sarath
(Not a Car Owner)

--