[sustran] NMT Ban: Success or Failure?

Saiful Alam shovan1209 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 23:01:23 JST 2009

NMT Ban:  Success or Failure?
The NMT ban from Gabtoli to Russell Square was meant to be an experiment, the results of which would determine whether it would be extended.  From HDRC’s and our analysis, the experiment was in fact a failure and should not have been continued.  Even the World Bank, which initially pushed the ban, later admitted that the ban had not been implemented properly.*

On 30 December, we received an e-mail from Guang Z. Chen, Sector Manager, Transport, South Asia Region of The World Bank.  In his e-mail, he stated that “a number of key measures should be completed or in place before conversion of the next sections of arterial corridor to NMT-free operations.  In our view, these key measures include:  The provision of alternative/ complementary NMT routes for network continuity or for access to specific destinations (eg hospitals, markets, schools, etc), ... the provision of additional bus services, and effective enforcement of parking prohibitions along these corridors - to ensure that road capacity freed up as a result of the conversion leads to substantially improved public transport services along the corridor. ...

“We have advised the Government of Bangladesh and DTCB repeatedly and requested them to ensure that the above measures are implemented/in place BEFORE the conversion of the next sections of arterial road to NMT-free operations, so that the proposed action aimed at improving traffic conditions and circulation in Dhaka causes minimal severance of NMT networks and adequately mitigates adverse impacts on livelihood.”

Where are the alternative/complementary NMT routes?  Where the additional bus services?  Where the provision of parking along the corridors?  How then can the ban be extended?  And yet it was.

Syed Siful Alam Shovan
shovan1209 at yahoo.com