[sustran] Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia and the Pacific.

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Jun 8 16:27:34 JST 2009

Thanks so much Paul for agreeing to go  public with this exchange. Just the
ticket as we can see from this lively reaction it is getting.

The first step, as always, is for us to figure out who we are. And who we
want to be. I think we are off to a promising start here.  Here are my best
thoughts on this.  By the numbers:

1.      Sustran is a great forum and source of ideas and inspiration,  and
has been a useful dialoguing tool in the struggle for sustainable transport
in the region for many of us over the last decade.

2.      But it appears of late to have fallen into a bit of a fallow period.
Despite the fact that it is more important than ever that we have good lines
of communications between those of us who care deeply about these concerns
and have something to say. (Let me mention quickly that my comments here are
not only as a very long time member of this group, but also since I have had
quite a bit of experience managing related projects, programs and focused
discussion groups as part of the New Mobility Agenda.)

3.       The original focus of this forum was to Sustainable Transport
Action Network for Asia and the Pacific. Within the last couple of years
however at least me and quite possibly others have lobbied to stretch this
geographic coverage to the "Global South". I now regard this as an error on
my part, for some of the reasons we are seeing here. It dilutes the very
important focus that I sincerely believe we need to retain.

4.      Our great advantage as a group is that we have a common focus, a
viable means of communications,  something to say, and that our topic has
never been more important than it is today.

5.      Our weakness, if I may, is that (a) we have not of late been making
good use of these advantages, and (b) we are not as yet bringing in enough
players in many important parts of the region, with China of course right at
the top of the list.

6.      That said, the "Asia and the Pacific" focus is to my mind an
extremely useful one to stay with. It is an area which is clearly
delineated, in which we already have a good running start, in which English
works pretty well as a common language, and which offers as very wide spread
of transport and other conditions, and with it an opportunity for cross
learning including "North/South" lessons.

7.      There are great benefits for concentrating, and I hope that you all
will consider this strategic suggestion and that we will be able to build on
it if you find it a reasonable start.

8.      As to our central theme - I propose that we keep it exactly as it
has been since the beginning "sustainable transport action network".  No
more, no less.

9.      Finally, we must realize that our strength in the past is precisely
that there has been no big structure or lots of work and heavy resources
needed to keep it going.  Sustran pretty much does itself, and I would like
it to be that way in the future.  It's a clear example of what I like to
call a "self organizing collaborative network". That's the way I think we
should go.

Which means that now I have to stand back and get out of the way.
Self-organize oh Sustran.

Warm regards,

Eric Britton

Read World Streets. It's good for you and for your planet.