[sustran] Re: Regional focus for sustran-discuss: Asia or the global South?

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jun 7 01:21:55 JST 2009

Even with face to face contact, junior employees will often not express
opinions in front of their bosses.

And punishments, ranging from humiliation to loss of promotion and status
are very real.

In Thailand, for example, the situation is best understood in terms of the
concept of "greng jai," the requirement to make your boss look good --
part of which involves demonstrating that you are inferior to your boss
and have little of value to contribute compared to him or her.
Having good ideas or being creqtive can be seen as an insult to
your boss. Jonathan!

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009, Zvi Leve wrote:

> I do not think that it is exactly "fear of punishment" that inhibits
> people from certain cultures from participating in such 'public'
> exchanges - it is more a "fear of losing face". That is, they are worried
> about how they will be perceived by others.... When interacting with
> people directly it is easier to understand the social cues, so more
> people would be inclined to actively participate.
>
> Not sure what can be done about this. If one desires, it is not difficult
> to hide one's true identity from the forum (generic email address, no
> full name, etc.), but this does not seem to make much of a difference.
>
> Anyway....
>
> Zvi
>

> 2009/6/6 Jonathan E. D. Richmond <richmond at alum.mit.edu>
>

>       I do not think the issue is fear of lack of knowledge but
>       fear of punishment.
>
>       In many Asian countries there is a taboo about expressing
>       opinions, an activity often felt to be reserved for
>       politicians and the most senior officers --Jonathan!

-----
Jonathan Richmond
+230 707-1134 (Mauritius mobile: most reliable way to reach me)

+1 (617) 395-4360 (US phone number rings at home -- call me in
Mauritius for the price of a call to the US).

e-mail: richmond at alum.mit.edu
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/