[sustran] Depreciation periods for buses in Singapore

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Jul 31 16:09:01 JST 2009

From: Mike Kilburn [mailto:mkilburn at civic-exchange.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:39 AM

Does anyone know over how many years Singapore depreciates its bus fleet and
whether this is mandated by law?

I am asking because Civic Exchange is conducting a study of franchised buses
in Hong Kong, as a major contributor to roadside pollution,
and we are looking for examples of jurisdictions that place some sort of
limit on the operating life of a bus.

In HK depreciation (ranging between 14 and 20 years) is a key consideration,
but I would be very interested to hear of any control measures,
such as roadworthiness test requirements, environmental performance
indicators, limits on engine type (e.g. Singapore has banned all pre Euro
and Euro 1 vehicles).

Many thanks

Mike Kilburn
Civic Exchange