[sustran] [NewMobilityCafe] Are private cars the ideal transport?

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Sep 8 22:51:10 JST 2008

There are several basic contradictions here that we need to come to grips
with in answering this question in a useful manner.

The first is that for much of the past and in many parts of the world "they"
- think of them as the "car system" -- were and indeed still often are very
good at what they do. Or at least are largely perceived as such. And if we
lose sight of this, we will not win the battle of the transition which must
now take place. It will not be won by rhetorical flourishes, nodding of
heads and mumbling agreement within the choir.

In this context, also need to keep in view the enormous technical,
entrepreneurial and resource capabilities of the car industry. Like it or
not, they are an important part of the solutions. Though in this respect we
need to keep in mind the statement of Arthur Okun, then chairman of the
Council of Economic Advisers under President John Fitzgerald Kennedy, when
he wrote:  "Two cheers for the market, not three".  That third cheer being
of course for wise governance, which is the way in which we put these
entrepreneurial and technical competences to work for society as a whole.

The underlying challenge, as we all here now very well, is that despite the
massive changes we are enduring in our lives, in our cities and on our
sweltering planet, the private car continues to be for a vast majority of
all people a beautiful dream. It is this dream, and the fact that is it so
utterly in contrast with the terribly harsh realities that are now upon us,
both at the level of the planet and certainly in our cities, that needs to
be addressed.

That car I so dearly covet is in my mind's eye a magic carpet. I can hop in
it and it will seamlessly, effortlessly and quickly transport me to exactly
where I want to go and when I want to get there. I arrive, leave in front of
the door, fresh, smiling and exactly on time, a man in charge.

The truth lies otherwise. And the communication of this truth, and of the
ways of dealing with it, is our job. Because if we do not do it, who will?

*           *           *

For the history minded, here is how Sam Johnson made the contract between
the traveler's dream and the realities, some years back

He that travels in theory has no inconveniences; he has shade and sunshine
at his disposal, and wherever he alights finds tables of plenty and looks of
gaiety. These ideas are indulged till the day of departure arrives, the
chaise is called, and the progress of happiness begins.

A few miles teach him the fallacies of imagination. The road is dusty, the
air is sultry, the horses are sluggish, and the postilion brutal. He longs
for the time of dinner that he may eat and rest. The inn is crowded, his
orders are neglected, and nothing remains but that he devour in haste what
the cook has spoiled, and drive on in quest of better entertainment. He
finds at night a more commodious house, but the best is always worse than he
expected.

Samuel Johnson, The Idler, no. 58, in Universal Chronicle, London, 26 May
1759

This is the message that we need to get across. Reality.