[sustran] Creative networking around "slowth"

Eric Britton (free.fr) eric.britton at free.fr
Fri Mar 7 16:15:47 JST 2008

The first-cut entry that I started some time ago on "slowth" in the
Wikipedia -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slowth --is being challenged
because it lacks references and hence is subject to eventual removal, The
"editors" suggest that "The best way to address this concern is to reference
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources>  published,
third-party sources about the subject".

So my question to you is that, if you have a feel for the concept, can you
possibly take the time to go in and make it a more solid reference? The text
presently reads like this (below):

Kind thanks. It's a great cause. (Isn't it?)

Eric Britton

Slowth is a New Mobility
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=New_Mobility&action=edit&redlink=
1>  transport planning concept, which posits that lower top speeds can lead
to shorter overall travel times in a physical situation, usually in a city.
This is a powerful model which urban planners
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_planners>  and traffic engineers, with a
few notable exceptions, are only recently starting to take seriously. Also
referred to as "slow transport".
A traffic system based on slowth is carefully calibrated by [traffic
engineers] to lower top speeds - 20 or 30 kph on most city streets is one
common target - but where the entire system leads to steadier flows and
throughput, and, with it, greater safety, lower emissions, and higher
quality of life all around.
The Australian environmental planner Peter Newman wrote this about slowth in
a communication to the New Mobility discussion group on 1 January
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_1>  2008
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008>
*	"Great concept. It is at the heart of traffic calming of course and
now 'Naked Streets' as well as the Slow Cities idea from Italy. It is
interesting that 20 to 30 kph is the speed that we are biologically made for
as our maximum. It is the speed that sprinters reach and of course over
thousands of years our hand eye co-ordination has adapted to that speed so
we see so much more at or below that speed. Birds can see at much faster
speeds and have adapted their skills and observation accordingly. We can't
do much at high speed other than stay straight so we have awful accidents
all the time due to 'human error' and somehow get surprised by it."
1 Proponents
*	John Adams, United Kingdom.
*	Donald Appleyard <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Appleyard> ,
United States.