[sustran] streetwiki writer job opportunity

Craig Johnson johnson.craig at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 23:37:57 JST 2008

Here is a short-term job description for someone who is well-versed in
international planning and transportation policies and practices.

- Craig

StreetsWiki Writer
 StreetsWiki - The Open Planning Project
 Location:
anywhere (though much of the content is NYC focused), , United States
 Posted on:
February 26, 2008
 Category:
 Experience:
Not specified

*Streetsblog.org* is the premier news outlet for NYC transportation policy
and urban environmental issues.

As a part of Streetsblog's impending redesign we are launching a new web
site called *Streetswiki*. Streetswiki is a free, web-based,
community-created encyclopedia dedicated to sharing knowledge about
sustainable transportation policies, practices and ideas from around the
world. Like Wikipedia, its articles will be written and edited by anyone
with a bit of unique knowledge and access to the Internet. Through
Streetswiki, we hope to provide a means for Livable Streets practitioners in
cities around the world to share information, ideas and best practices.

*The Open Planning Project*, the publisher of Streetsblog and Streetfilms,
is seeking to hire one or more writers to help get Streetswiki off the
ground. Our goal is to have a healthy number of Streetswiki articles written
and published when the new site launches this spring. As such, we are
looking for individuals with professional writing or editing experience and
a background in urban planning, transportation policy or livable streets
advocacy to help us seed Streetswiki.

Hours: We are looking for someone who can commit a minimum of 20 hours per
week and can focus intensively on this project for the next four to six
weeks.

Pay: A rate of $20 per hour or we can work out payment on a per article, per
word or per week basis. Let's discuss.
Sample Streetswiki article topics:

* Jan Gehl, Danish urban designer
* Ciclovia
* Woonerf
* Milennium Park Bike Station, Chicago
* Park(ing) Day
* Enrique Penalosa
* A complete list of all known public bike-sharing programs
* The Velib bike-sharing program in Paris, France
* Chicanes
* Le Mobilien
* Hans Monderman
* TransMilenio
* Donald Shoup
* Cheonggyecheon River Highway removal project, Seoul, South Korea
* Physically Separated Bike Lanes
* Christine Berthet of the Clinton / Hell's Kitchen Pedestrian Safety
Coalition
* CHEKPEDS: The Clinton / Hell's Kitchen Pedestrian Safety Coalition
* Mode Shift
* Curbside Vacancy Rates
* Transit-Oriented Development
* Ghost Bikes
* Las Ramblas, Barcelona, Spain
* Traffic Justice
* Vauban, Freiburg, Germany
* VMT
* London Mayor Ken Livingstone
* Janette Sadik-Khan

If the gestalt of this list is immediately clear to you and you have
professional writing and editing experience and you can devote at least 20
hours a week to this project for the next four weeks (and you may be
interested in editing Streetswiki as a full-time job), send a *cover letter,
resume and clips *to aaron [at] streetsblog [dot] org. Please write,
"Streetswiki" in the subject line of your e-mail.