[sustran] Slowth - concept

Sudhir sudhir at secon.in
Wed Jan 2 12:36:48 JST 2008

Dear Sir,

Sir, the roads are mainly designed for 30,50 and 80 kmph for access,feeder and collector/arterial categories.
The major lucune in design is that it does not consider the issue of landuse development.
as the road gets improved, landuse changes thus allowing more access to the road which invariably decreases the operating speed.
 it is a known fact that generation of  shock-waves due to rapid change in speeds is the main cause of accidents.
As an Engineer, i would like to see a lower speed of 30kmph as the operating speed in an ideal city.
Implementing such a speed would decrease the number of fatalities in accidents.
with urban people are so used to congestion that unhindered movement of 30kmph would allow them to traverse the city through one end to another end in an hour thus improving the throughputs without allowing any dissent.
the main issue is should we allow such an arrangement to all modes??
Or should we allow the mass transportation modes which are only 5% of all vehicular modes to travel at 30kmph slowing down the other modes intentionally.

Regards
Sudhir