[sustran] Re: R2W and Pedestrian Safety Plan

Chris Bradshaw c_bradshaw at rogers.com
Tue Dec 23 06:08:57 JST 2008

Kanthi,

> In the last week there has been some progress in the R2W Campaign. What we
> need at this stage is to give the GHMC a document with a clear cut plan on
> Pedestrian Safety.

> The Commissioner and the Special commissioner seem to be interested in
> taking Pedestrian Safety as an issue. Please do send in your thoughts to
> make this document comprehensive and implementable.

I am probably in no position to imagine the walking conditions in your city
and country.  There seems to be so much that needs to be done that part of
the problem is to decide what to focus on first.  Western countries
definitely haven't got it right yet.

Obviously, focus on the streets with the most traffic and most 'conflicts'.
These streets require the greatest sidewalk widths.

Don't forget to use public education to communicate safe behaviour by all
parties (not just pedestrians), along with effective enforcement.

I would also invite you to post this query to the Pednet listserv (for
pedestrian activists and walking advocates).