[sustran] A reminder of the very specific focus of this forum:

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sun Oct 21 20:29:11 JST 2007

Re: A reminder of the very specific focus of this forum:

There seems to have been some slippage in this focus of late, and I would
remind the group that we are here for a very specific reason. To quote the
founders:

Sustran: The Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia & the Pacific --
an email discussion list devoted to people-centred, equitable and
sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global
South'). Sustran: a major discussion forum on urban transport in developing
countries." Discussions are well focused, expert-based and of very high
quality.

I hope that we can retain this focus which is very important, and not allow
our attention to wander to other things for which there are plenty of great
lists around. Among them:

o    A discussion forum for those interested in the carfree cities concept.
Includes discussion of related transport and energy issues. Companion to the
presentation at  <http://www.carfree.com/> Carfree.com and the newsletter
<http://www.carfree.com/cft/> Carfree Times. Only intended for discussion of
personal experiences as they relate to the larger issues. This is NOT
cycling or transport group, although we do talk some about these issues.

o    300 list members discuss and explore issues related to eliminating or
reducing one's reliance on automotive transport. Celebrates non-polluting
forms of transportation such as walking and bicycling while encouraging the
use of mass transit as well as other life style changes providing an
alternative to auto-centric perspectives.

.         Carbusters Magazine General Discussion : phorum ....
http://www.carbusters.org/phorum/list.php?3

o    Carbusters is a project of the  <http://www.worldcarfree.net> World
Carfree Network, an international network of carfree proponents from around
the world. The World Carfree Network is the hub of the global carfree
movement and acts as a clearinghouse for information from around the world
on how to revitalise our towns and cities and create a sustainable future.

o    World wide discussion on the Critical Mass. Where, When, What, Posters,
Logos, Ideas, Shared Experience, ...

.         Lots Less Cars in Cities Idea Factory  -
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LotsLessCars/

o     Unconstrained by bureaucracy, economic interests or schedules, this is
the communications forum first brought on line in 1998 in support of the
World Car-Free Days Collaborative, which in July 2006 has been re-titled and
expanded to give us  <http://www.ecoplan.org/carfreeday/cf_index.htm> The
Lots Less Cars in Cities Idea Factory. What we are looking at here is not
quite zero cars (in most places) but, let us say, many fewer cars in our
cities, a more tranquil environment, and a lot more safe and happy people.

.          <http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org/> World Naked Bike Ride (