[sustran] Re: Transit pass - Best Weapon Against Climate Change?

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Wed Oct 17 08:43:27 JST 2007

There is also research indicating that high
quality public transit (such as rail transit and
bus rapid transit) has a leverage effect on
travel behavior, but stimulating the development
of more accessible, multi-modal communities where
people own fewer motor vehicles and drive less
than in more automobile-dependent communities.
Research by myself and others indicates that each
passenger-mile of transit travel can reduce 2-7
vehicle-miles of driving (see "Evaluating Public
Transit Benefits and Costs" http://www.vtpi.org/tranben.pdf , Table 6).

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
“Efficiency - Equity - Clarity”