[sustran] Re: [carfree_network] Re: RE: Pollution in Paris... from Bicycles

Pascal van den Noort operations at velomondial.net
Mon Oct 8 16:55:12 JST 2007

Dear Carlos, friends and colleagues,

Projects like Vélib and other flagship projects function like flares; they
attract the attention of cities all over the world and promote provisions
for emission free traffic like cycling. These flagship projects are
supportive of a massive movement that is growing fast now, with EU 2010
emission reduction demands.

Cycling and other modes of emission free traffic are massively on the
increase and Vélib is only an expression of that. Velo Mondial has been and
is involved in NATCYP (first European Cycling Project), LUTR, Velo.Info,
Spicycles and other projects. Other projects on the move are:  Baltic Sea
Cycling, UrBike , MoCuBa , Bypad, Eurovelo.

These are just a few cities I can now mention that work on a variety of
cycling projects in Europe: Sevilla (Spain), IId District of Budapest
(Hungary), Dresden (Germany), Kielce (Poland), Florence (Italy),
Frederiksberg (Denmark), Mesa Yitonia (Cyprus), Xanthi (Greece),Barcelona
(Spain), Berlin (Germany), Bucharest (Romania), Göteborg (Sweden), Ploiesti
(Romania), Rome (Italy), Örebro (Sweden), Bad Doberan, (Germany), Drammen
(Norway), Kalmar (Sweden), Klaipeda (Lithuania), Klützer-Winkel (Germany),
Schönberg (Germany), Linköping (Sweden), Cesis (Latvia), Grevesmühlen
(Germany), Livani (Latvia), ADFC Rostock (Germany), Rehna (Germany),
Siauliai (Lithuania), Jelgava (Latvia), Västerås (Sweden), Rostock
(Germany). And then there are ‘ old‘ cycling cities like Amsterdam that is
now considering a Main
<http://velomondial.blogspot.com/2007/10/main-network-emission-free-traffic.
html>  network of emission free routes.

Velo Mondial sees these projects as grass roots projects where cities take
the initiative; this movement of cities taking the lead should be supported
and be seen as the ultimate way to go.

This month, together with Spicycles and Velo.Info, Velo Mondial will launch
a project where cities can fill in an online questionnaire; they will then
be provided with their City Characteristic’s Report for emission free
traffic as well as a report comparing their achievements with those of other
cities. This will provide them the opportunity to learn from their peers.

We will keep you of this and more cycling promotion initiatives via Velo
<http://velomondial.blogspot.com/>  Mondial's Blog

Pascal J.W. van den Noort
Executive Director Velo Mondial

 <http://www.velomondial.net/> www.velomondial.net